Mono Cartridge, is it worth the investment?

I would like to hear from those who own a mono cartridge. Is it that much better than using a stereo cartridge with a preamp that has a mono switch? Are there any good values in mono cartridges out there?
slowhand
Sorry,

I did not mean to imply that the value would increase. I am well aware that audio is not a hobby to make money on. I have a VPI 12.5 arm, so if I got another arm wand a second cartridge can be set up with proper vta, vtf, azimuth, etc, and then you just lift of one wand and replace it with the other. As for how many mono recordings I have, not that many. I would buy many more if I could get proper reproduction of them. There is a lot of great music that was only done in mono, and even many of the early stereo recordings pale in comparison to the mono recordings.
A good point about the wand. However, I would go for a complete arm so you do not need to adjust the vta etc. every time you change the wand. I had a VPI Aries with a 12 arm and was going to use it as a mono table. However, due to WAF, could not get it into the room, one table is all I am allowed. My next project is a TT that I can put two arms on, one stereo, the other mono. I have a VPI Aries with 10.5 arm but it does not have enough space to mount another arm, without putting an outboard rigger on it. So, I continue to look for a TT with two complete arms. I like VPI stuff. I am talking to Harry about this project but nothing finalized yet.
I have a table with two arms just for that purpose. One has my mono cartridge. Although I don't have a lot of mon records, the mono records definitely sound better with the mono cartridge than a stereo cartridge. If I had to swap headshells or arm wands to play mono reocrds, I wouldn't bother. Two arms is the way to go if you want to get a mono cartridge. It will cost you some bucks, but hey, what else is new with this hobby!
I am using the Graham phantom with one arm stereo Jan allaerts Finish and another with Lyra Helikon Mono cartridge. Swapping arms takes me 3 minutes.
Sound benefit with the mono cartridge is huge with records pressed before1960. On recent reissues of old mono records is less audible. So if you have original records mono they deserve a good mono cartridge, you will be surprised how good they sound.