Record cleaning Q's - brushes and fluid

Hi all. I just picked up a VPI 16.5 here on Agon (thanks Lptube) and I've started cleaning 5 years worth of collected vinyl. Hoping to pick up a couple tips from the community here.

What kind of brushes are you using? I have the nylon bristle brush that came with the vpi and I'm not crazy about it. Doesn't do a great job of spreading the fluid and the handle is a hard chunk of smooth plastic. Difficult to hold and seems like it's dangerous to the lp if dropped, which I have done several times. I also have a mfsl brush, which has a nice microfiber velvet pile. Spreads the fluid really well and the handle is a nice soft rubber too. Problem is the brush is like 2" wide and all that fiber soaks up a lot of (expensive) fluid. Does anyone know of a brush type with the microfiber/velvet pile that's not quite as big? Before I spend a 100 bucks buying different brushes figured I'd look for some advice.

This brings me to the next question - how much fluid do you use? I'm using the audio intelligent 3-step (rinsing with whole foods filtered water though, not the AI stuff). I find it takes a lot more than the 1/10th of an ounce AI recommends to really saturate one side of an LP. Since none of my vinyl has ever been wet or vacuum cleaned, I'm using the enzyme cleaner to soak it for a while in step one. It seems to take as much as 1/3 of an ounce to really get the LP wet and keep it that way for a 10 minute soaking session without "dry spots" opening up. Am I using too much fluid? How wet does one need to get the LP to ensure a really good cleaning?

Thanks for any responses.
Jon.
zargoz
Zargoz one other thing you will discover is a big static build up on your vinyl after using 16.5, I use a mapleshade anti static gun right after cleaning.

If you can ground your turntable spindle it will help.

The spindle on 16.5 is grounded and static is still built up.
If anyone has found a way to cut down on static using 16.5 lets hear it.

The static build up is the only negative i have with 16.5.
Jon; i have a couple of recipes that has proven to work for me. I use distilled water, dawn dishwashing detergent and isopropyl alcohol as a basic wash. It is very good for lightly fouled albums. For one quart of solution, i use 28 ounces of water, 4 ounces of pure isopropyl alcohol, and about 1 teaspoon of detergent. it has worked for me over the years pretty good. I find the detergent offers the surfactant and dispersant characteristics needed to be an effective cleaner.

I have recently used an enzyme based cleaner for my "yard sale or thrift store" finds as i found my normal solution took several cleanings to work. The enzyme cleaner actually was a door to door sales that my wife had purchased. I had noticed it did a fantastic job cleaning greasy or stained materials and tried some in my normal cleaning mixture. eventually i mixed separate formula just using the enzyme mix with distilled water and isopropyl. with it i use 24 ounces of water, 4 ounces of concentrated enzyme cleaner and 4 ounces of isopropyl. I use it with steam cleaning and the results are fantastic. It works very good without steam cleaning but i find the heat that is added with steam cleaning results in the best cleaning action. One tip for any cleaning regiment. you must rinse after cleaning because most cleaners will leave a residue.
Two points....

1) Static -- I've found that static build-up is more or less of a problem depending on the fluid used. For instance the RRL/MoFi fluids tend to have more of a static problem than the DD fluids. The one thing that will ensure a really bad static problem is if you let the record run for several revolutions under the vacuum wand.

I live in a dry climate and static is always a problem. So far the best solution that I've found is to wipe the record down with a microfiber cloth (dampened with distilled water) immediately before play. I have the cloth rolled up, add a little bit of distilled water, start the platter, and hold the cloth perpendicular to the LP. This picks up any surface dust on the LP and also seems to do a very good job of neutralizing any static. Since I started doing this I haven't had a static problem at all and the relative humidity of my listening room has been dropping into the low teens. I keep the cloth in a ziploc bag to make sure that it doesn't get too dirty.

2) Record cleaning... Please do yourself a favor and wear earplugs when doing a massive cleaning run. The 16.5 is anything but quiet and LPs will be a lot less fun if your hearing is compromised.