GEM Dandy Record Cleaner - Has Anyone Tried It ?

Have you read this review of George Merrill's record cleaner in the latest 6Moons.com?http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/gem/dandy.html

Best ever record cleaner (according to the reviewer) and uses ordinary tap water for the rinse. Exclusively for garage sale purchases, or would you have the nerve to try it on an audiophile reissue, too?
randyk
I recently acquired around 300 LP's most of which are from my parents. The records have been stored in a damp basement and hence many of the records have mold.

The mold is visible in two forms (1) as dark speck like dust that cannot be removed by a brush and (2) record grooves that are gray.

Not only am I skeptical and a tweaker, I am also a CSOB so I spent hours researching and searching for a record cleaner and settled on a VPI HW 16.5.

I was shocked by the price of record cleaners and fortunately for me my friend has a new VPI and I was able to clean a record with his cleaner. It did sound better after a cleaning but my concern with the VPI was, the expense and was not sure about the results. I then found the GEM here on Audiogon and decided to give George a call.

George is very nice person and spent some time with me discussing the merits of his cleaner and some of his research surrounding record cleaning. I decided to purchase one.

When I received the GEM I was not overwhelmed by the stand but one must keep in mind that GEM is not the same thing as a VPI. I then cleaned a few records and I started to feel much better.

The mold I found was completely gone and the records did sound better (after one cleaning); quieter and much more detail. I could not listen to some records prior to cleaning but can now...

I even took the VPI cleaned record and give it a cleaning, the GEM loosened dirt that was visible on the needle after one play. This is not to say that a second cleaning with the VPI would not have also helped. It even revealed scratches that were previously hidden.

I am hooked and can honestly say that the GEM is very effective and would recommend it to anyone who does not want to spent a lot of money on a very effective record cleaner and also someone who does not mind spending 5 to 10 minutes cleaning a record.
I finally got my act together and made a DIY version of the GEM Dandy Cleaner. For the $20 in supplies, why not.

My first impression with this cleaning system is that it is very, very effective. As with any cleaning system, it won't bring a record back from the dead. Some records I cleaned had sustained irreparable damage before they had ever reached my hands. Where the GEM method of cleaning a record shines is completely eliminating surface noise.

I had been using a vacuum cleaning system prior to the GEM method, but it just makes more sense to get a complete rinse. With a vacuum system the crap that you dredge up from the grooves may or may not make it up into the vacuum, and it might settle back into the groove. With a rinse system, it never stands a chance.

Highly recommended.

-Dusty
This is by far the best system I've ever used, waaay better than my VPI 16.5 which I promptly sold after building a GEM clone.
Looks like the device can be DIY-ed... $150 for plumbing parts? I dont know...!! ??
I've had it over a year, absolutely fantastic cleaning system. This thing has completely revolutionized my enjoyment of listening to LPs, even old rejects that had long been given up for dead.

It is very easy to use and not really too messy in the sink. But if you prefer it is no trouble to set up outside with a garden hose.

Don't even think about buying some outrageously expensive vacuum/brush monstrosity until you have tried the GEM.

Yes, you can DIY most of it and tweak a few things here and there if so inclined. Except for the GEM cleaning fluid, that is a requirement.

But I don't have a problem paying for George's idea and invention. He is a great guy and very knowledgeable, I appreciate his contributions to making this system available.

Steve