Instructions for a Turntable Basics Protractor

A friend has given me a Turntable Basics Alignment tool without instructions. Can anyone give me instructions for properly uusing this tool?
tayofiji
Doug,

I appreciate your follow-up. I am setting up a new system (Acoustic Solid TT) with Rega arm, so I believe the Baerwald method would be appropriate?

I also have a Grace 707 MK II tonearm on another turntable which I successfully used the Turntable Alignment Tool several years ago. If I am not mistaken both the Rega arms and the Grace 707 both have an effective length of 237mm and a mounting distance of 222mm.
Rega arms are not designed for Baerwald alignment. The standard Rega mounting distance of 222mm puts the arm too far from the TT spindle for some cartridges to reach both Baerwald null points. You'd have to move the cartridge farther forward than the headshell slots allow.

If you have a moveable armboard the fix is simple however. Just mount the arm at 219.5-220mm. At that distance any cartridge should reach the Baerwald points without difficulty. I did this successfully with an OL (Rega mount) arm on a Teres (pivoting arm board) and so have many others.

Alternatively, you could use a Rega protractor and mount the arm at the standard dimension. Baerwald alignment tends to produce lower tracing distortion than Rega alignment, however, so that's probably the preferable method.
Doug,

My side-mounted armplate (which is adjustable)for my Acoustic Solid turntable is set exactly at 220mm so we are in business. Now, if my new upgraded arm (it's a Rega platform)would arrive, I really would be in business.

Thanks again for your help.