budget Cables / Interconnects recommendations?

Hello all- For the past 10 years I have been using some cheap mostercable type interconnects, and I'm wondering I'f I'm missing out. My set-up includes a pair of VTL compact 100 tube monoblocks powering a pair of NHT super-two's. Main source is a rega Planar 3 (about to hopefully be fitted with a BENZ ACE) with an adcom pre (that I am about to replace, with what I am not sure, something tube I imagine)-- anyways, It seems that I could easily buy cables that cost more than my components. Do they really make that big of a difference or is the money better spent elsewhere? What brand would be a good place to start to do better than my cheap wal-mart cables but not spend a fortune? thanks- M
bean151
Shadorne asked: "Could all this be making you energized more by fear/desire/conformity than practical benefit?"

I am energized to hear some improvements in my system via a relatively simple mod.
fear- of what?
desire? yes- for better sound-
conformity? ha! spend hundreds to be accepted by a bunch of strange names on a web board? If I wanted that I'd act like I know everything. The fact is that I don't know much about this. Thats why i'm here.

I don't really care whats "in". I care what works, and I'd hate to "miss out" on a relatively easy way to improve my system.

I am one of the "few" who question "extraordinary differences" because I have not heard it with my own ears. Many thanks to those who have given me a few places to start via this thread- So far I've at least gotten something educational from 14 out of 15 of these replies-
Cheers.
Also check out Audio Advisor. They have an exclusive on a couple of interconnects from AudioQuest that I think are good values: The Scarlet Viper and the Blue Racer. The Viper is long-grain crystal copper at $35/meter pair and the Blue Racer is OCC-style single-crystal copper at $65/meter pair. I have both and think they give good value. The Blue Racers are especially nice. The single-crystal copper imparts a very detailed, yet smooth sound and they come with AudioQuest's excellent silver RCA plugs which by themselves sell for $40/set.

Also, AA has a 30-day unconditional money-back guarantee. You pay return shipping, but on interconnects that's very cheap. That gives you plenty of time to burn 'em in and try 'em out.