budget Cables / Interconnects recommendations?

Hello all- For the past 10 years I have been using some cheap mostercable type interconnects, and I'm wondering I'f I'm missing out. My set-up includes a pair of VTL compact 100 tube monoblocks powering a pair of NHT super-two's. Main source is a rega Planar 3 (about to hopefully be fitted with a BENZ ACE) with an adcom pre (that I am about to replace, with what I am not sure, something tube I imagine)-- anyways, It seems that I could easily buy cables that cost more than my components. Do they really make that big of a difference or is the money better spent elsewhere? What brand would be a good place to start to do better than my cheap wal-mart cables but not spend a fortune? thanks- M
bean151
ha! I fully expected that to happen. I just did it to start fights! But seriously, thanks for the help. One comment that struck me was to pay attention to the cable between my phono-pre for a low ouput MC and the pre-amp itself. Are there cables that are better for such things than others? Another concern is that the Rega has attached interconnects- There seem to be many options for replacing these as well, and since I will be using a farily low output cart is this somethign I shoudl consider?
Mr Bean,

I'm wondering I'f I'm missing out.

Very few dare question the consensus wisdom of the "extraordinary" differences available from changing cables. Even Best Buy emphasizes that it is essential to purchase high quality accessories/cables when you buy components. Plenty of advice on what to buy is available everywhere. Just like fashion magazines tell you what to wear, what is "in".

I have a question for you. Could all this be making you energized more by fear/desire/conformity than practical benefit?
Bean151,
For the Rega attached interconnects, take a look at the closeout deal on no-longer made
Z-Sleeves on tweakaudio.com This is a $50 tweak.
I successfully added this at the preamp phono input end of my fixed interconnects on a Sonographe SG-3 turntable with modified Rega RB-300 tonearm.
There is audible improvement, quieter background, and better detail appreciation with a vintage Grado cartridge.
Here's another vote for Signal Cable. Using Signal for all PC's, speaker cable, and some IC's. I also have Audio Art IC3 ... nice copper/silver combo using DH Lab inspired geometry. These IC's are very reasonable @ $100/M
Bean,
The interconnect between a phono amp and a pre-amp doesn't have much impact. But if you are using a MC step-up transformer, the cable connecting the step-up and the pre-amp will change the loading of the MC cart due to the effect of the transformer.