Deep Cleaning Records With Steam?

It has happened again. Major tweak and record provider has available a steam cleaner made especially for records. Anybody try steam for cleaning lp’s? What were your results? Since a unit can be had for about $20 at Target, 15% of what the tweak provider is charging, is it worth a try?.
tiger
Something to Consider: According to emails from "Analog Fanatics" , as they upgraded analog playback front ends into the maga-buck world , not only did they hear more from the LPs , but a new character (we shall label dust/grit) created a sonic signature to compete with the music. They said conventional RCMs did little to change the situation until ever so reluctantly a few started to steam clean LPs. Now, some of those AF'ers swear that without the gunk tamer (steam) the upgrades could have been a waste of $. Go figure.
had an interesting experience last nite with a record i was steam cleaning. I will try again tonite to see if i can improve it but I just brought a used copy of jefferson airplane "bark". After my usual regime, i put the record on and it sounded like a record that was not clean. After one track i looked at the stylus to see if there was buildup but nothing. the sound is not the typical surface ticks and pops but sounds like a dirty record. it is an original pressing on the grunt label. I played the entire album and when the music was playing the "noise was not noticeable but between tracks and both sides have this noise. I will use a extended cleaning, soaking steaming regime to see if it is really dirty but usually those do show some buildup on the stylus. also the record looks almost new with very few surface scratches and smudges. Anyone else seen this with a LP?
O : Without a microscope its hard to make a good guess. My suspicions are some sort of "Last or Sound Guard-type" product or a pressing issue. If either is correct, the problem maybe beyond the limits of cleaning .

I have never done this but for a last resort,dishwasher liquids (which exact ones are the best I do not know) are said to be chocked full of man-made enzymes. Again,I do not know the ratio but a very small amount of dishwashing liquid to warm H2O,shake until disolved,then paint the liquid on the LP,let sit for 2 or 3 minutes,scrub,steam-rinse and a water-bath rinse. Dry w/ microcloth, air dry or RCM. Oilmanmojo, I haven't tried it but it "sounds" as if it may work on some grime but what you encountered I don't know for certian. I think the pressing may be at fault.
I have read this thread but still have some questions for Crem1. Do you begin your current steam regimen by placing the LP on your RCM with the jar remover covering the LP label? I believe it would be easier to control the actual steaming as the spinning LP on the RCM would allow you to position the steamer over the LP starting at the inner grooves and moving slowly toward the LP rim in a straight line like a straight line tracking tonearm. Also I think you said you hold the nozzle close enough to the LP such that the steam pattern is about the size of a dime. Correct? Does that imply that the nozzle is pointing straight down at the record as opposed to holding it at an agle? I am concerned about the amount of moisture that would be deposited on my VPI 17F. Is that an issue on the RCM? I will probably have more questions, but first I need to get a steamer. I will probably try the Walgreen's unit first. TIA for your answers/advice. John
Just saw this steamer. Appears close to the Mapleshade and other units mentioned regularly. Only $20.00 plus shipping.