Recommended first turntable?

I'm in need of a turntable! I've never owned one and don't have a very large record collection yet, so I'm not keen on spending more than say...$250. The turntables that people recommend to me (ie Rega, Thorens, Ariston) all seem very pricy in the used market.

For those of you who helped with my amp search, I finally got a Parasound HCA-1000A and its matching pre-amp, the P/HP-850.

Thanks!
128x128ledhed2222
One way to integrate some of the above sugestions is to consider waiting and saving up a bit more so you can stretch upwards on your budget. You'll be happier in the long run.

One advantage to the Rega is that set up couldn't be simpler. If you're technically minded and willing to do a bit of research, that might not be an issue. Even the bottom of their line, the new P1, is $350 with cartridge and you won't be likely to find one used quite yet since they are so new. A used P2 will be about the same price.

The above suggestions are good ones. Are you thinking $250 just for the table? What will you be using for a phono stage? The Grados are warm and full. The cheaper ones have a bit of tizz on the very top. You might do better depending on your taste and the table/arm.
I agree with Piedpiper above. My first high-end turntable was a Rega Planar 3 and it was way better than an automatic Yamaha I previously had. IMO it is a lot more important to set up the table properly than to worry about which inexpensive table to buy. The Rega is user-friendly and easy to set up. Or you can get something from Pro-Ject or Musical Fidelity or Thorens, but you will need some setup tools from Wallytractor or other aftermarket setup hardware. Another suggestion is to buy a table from a dealer skilled in analog setup if there is one near you. And I would also highly recommend some type of vacuum record cleaner, especially if you want your records to last.
Another thought: You are much better off putting virtually all your budget into the table/arm and getting the cheapest possible stop gap cartridge such as the cheapest Grado with the assumption of upgrading as funds allow. The quality priority sequence goes table, arm, cartridge, phono stage, etc.
$250 on the right day here could land you a used Rega P1. I've seen probably a half dozen here used in the $250-280 range over the last few months. Like Piedpiper, I didn't think I'd see them used for a while, but they're starting to appear. Rega sells a LOT of tables.

06-09-07: Ledhed2222
All of your info is helpful; I appreciate it! What do you think of Grado cartridges? My preamp has an MM input (but not MC) so I was leaning towards Grado.
The Grado Prestige line isn't a bad place to start, but there are other viable alternatives in the same price range, including the Ortofon OM 5 or OM 10 (depending on the sale price), the Shure M97xE (I paid $99 for mine but some on this forum have seen them as low as $50), and Audio Technica AT95E at under $50 or AT440MLa at about $85 if you get a lucky score on your turntable.

When you start putting the rest of your system together some of the people here may be able to help you pick the cartridge that best complements your downstream gear.

Sometimes you can get lucky. I got a Yamaha belt-drive semi-automatic turntable at a garage sale in Feb. for $2. It uses a P-mount cartridge. I replaced the cartridge with an Ortofon OMP 10, added an anti-static mat, and set the turntable's feet on Vibrapods and got a very musically satisfying player in return. Certainly not the highest resolution, but the P-mount arm virtually guarantees your cartridge is tracking at 1.25 grams, which should go easy on your records until you can afford something better.

About 3 weeks later I did buy a Technics SL1210 M5G, and enjoy the difference very much, but really, I could have gotten by on that old Yamaha pretty well if I'd chosen to.