Is analog & vinyl anoying? Is it worht it.

Yeah it may be better than digital. But come on. 3K+ for a cartridge. Cleaning machines. Preamps. VTA adjustments. noisy records. expensive software. By the time you get it all set up you are ready to just turn on the tv and watch Sportscenter. Is there any alternative?
gregadd
Post removed 
Viridian...I agree that it is astonishing that a mechanical media like a vinyl LP can sound so good. With some dynamic equalization (instead of the fixed RIAA curve) it can be as quiet as a CD, and with reduced distortion. (This was the DBX LP system, which I once had).

I believe that the CD4 system used a carrier with frequency modulation above 20 KHz. Because it was FM an undistorted waveform was not necessary. It was intended that the rear channels have full bandwidth capability (20 to 20K) so the cartridge had to work up to 40 KHz. In fact, although CD4 was a flop, phono cartridge design was greatly improved as a result of CD4.
I think that the carrier signal was at 44K Hz, but certainly above 40K. That of course forced cartridges to track at much higher than previously.
The response, however, wasn't necessarily flat to 44K and many carttridges achieved the higher frquency response by designing them to 'ring' at the carrier signal frequency.

salut, Bob p.
Gonna take delivery on new cd player. Don't need preamp. What's a good cleaning method for cd's?
Post removed