LO MCs carts with RM-9/Shindo pre?

I'm a relative vinyl newbie currently running a Pro-ject RM-9 with a Blackbird. Rest of the system is a Shindo Monbrison, (usually, now) Fi 45 monos, and Lamhorns.

I am captivated with this sound and have no reason to change anything, but am interested in trying MC carts. I would like some advice on what would be worthwhile to try with the RM-9 and the Shindo (which has a tranny MC stage). Other than the Koestsu Black, I have nothing else in mind at this point (and I don't know if this cart is a good fit with the Monbrison or not).

As I said, no weaknesses to the system, but if I could nit anything I would say that the bass is a bit round. It's not with CD, so I know it's the analog front-end. Just a might pudgier than I'd prefer (but only on some stuff - Village Vanguard is one, and the CD version is tighter). Also, while very detailed and dynamic, it's not the last word in microdynamics. The microdynamic nuance is what mainly has me interested in MC carts.

If there is anybody that thinks it's not worth it for me to try MC I'd like to hear that too. I've never heard any MC cart, much less a good one.

Budget is around $1200 used max (not sure if I'd buy used or not either).

Paul Folbrecht
Norvinz Field Rep
paulfolbrecht
Btw the Shindo built-in MC stage is optimized to work with SPUs... and does an amazing job with them. You can get the SPU GM Classic for about $650 these days I think.

Of course you also need to figure out whether your Blackbird arm is up to controlling the high weight and low compliance of the SPU cart.
"Of course you also need to figure out whether your Blackbird arm is up to controlling the high weight and low compliance of the SPU cart."

Can anybody answer that? :) I figured I might need a new arm. Right now, this is all tentative...
Hi Patrick,

I did write Jonathan, but I'd really like to stick to carts that will work well with the Shindo's trannies, which I'm betting just have to be pretty darn good. (The rest of this thing - that is, the MM and linestages - are so drop-dead stunning that the 1st stage just has to be too.)

The SPUs you mentioned - these are Ortofon? Same thing? Unless I am mistaken, no longer made?

Lots of stuff to investigate - Lyra, Dyna, Shure (?), etc. You can read about this stuff for days on end and still feel like you don't know half of what there is to know. Of course, it's in the listening, but trying carts is the biggest pain in the butt there is.

I think you are correct about the arm as well and that is another expense. The whole venture may need to wait a bit. I still love my current setup but every time I think "it can't get any better" I am proven wrong.
The SPU is still made... in the G shell. The A shell was discontinued last year. Check Ortofon's site (ortofon.dk - really fun for browsing).

I second the Denon recommendation, though you'll only be getting its best in a heavy arm.

Yes, the stock trannies in the Monbrison are amazing!