Technics SL-1200MKII and AT-440MLa, very good

This may have been posted before but I just wanted to let others know my experiance and setup that has worked out great. Now after 50 hours of playing time the soundstage has really started to open up and I'm starting to hear some very good depth to sound. AT really have done a good job with the AT440MLa cartridge and I thought I would never hear a cart in this price range sound this good, not only match well with my Technics SL-1200MKII but also with my Electrocompaniet ECP-1 phono preamp that I upgraded a few years back and is just finally breaking in also. The recordings I have done to CD on my computer have come out really nice and sound better than the store bought ones, more real. This is my secondary system in the room but I would like to try the Technics and AT440MLa on my main system or even better with the Teres 255 I have with the ET2 arm, I have a ceond tonearm for the ET2 and I may just do this. I used to own a Technics 1600MKII back in the ealy 80's and right up to 95 then I bought the Linn LP12 then Teres255, but I never thought the Technics SL-1200 could sound so good but I do remember on some material back when I had the 1600MKII that the sound was really nice. I going to do a side by side comparision with the 1200MKII and Teres 255 both with the AT440MLa cart just to see how close they come or don't to each other. This could be very interesting.

It was really a great buy and I will be getting more of the AT440MLa's
coouugar
The good thing about the NAD is that it has good name recognition and is readily re-sold without taking too much of a loss. Generally speaking, though, it is considered to be pretty much an entry level phono pre and not one of the better ones at that.

I'll re-iterate what I said above about the DB Systems phono pre as I think it would better both the Bellari and the Gram Amp, probably for much less money. To put it into perspective someone that I purchased the MM version from for my son's system that owned both the MM and the MC versions of the DB Systems preferred the MC to an older version of the Lehmann Black Cube with upgraded power supply. The Lehmann has generally been very highly thought of, sold new for around $700 and they typically sell instantly on Audiogon in the $300-$400 range.

The only bad thing about the DB Systems is the poor name recognition and limited resale that goes along with it; other than that it's a great phono pre that makes a lot of sense in terms of matching up/balancing well with your existing front end before you upgrade in that area to go really upmarket and then want to do the same with the phono stage.
HDM is correct about the DB phono pre. It would also free cash to buy KAB mods for your 1200, like the fluid damper & outboard power supply.

The Bellari VP 129 lists at $300, but most places still sell it at $249, including Audio Advisor, Needle Doctor, and Music Direct. Recently I got a mailer froM Audio Advisor who had a demo VP 129 for something like $217. Hard to beat for a Stereophile Class B. Also, in the same price range as the NAD is the Paragon ZPhono in their half-chassis Z series. I have a line level amp and preamp from that series and it's tasty stuff.

> This stupid little phono pre has opened up a varitable pandora's box for me! For the first time in a long time, I actually enjoyed the quality of sound I was hearing last night. Man what a difference! What's better? Simply put, all of it.

Hear hear! I got a Technics SL 1210 M5G and Ortofon OM 10 plugged into a pawnshop Amber Model 17 preamp and am having the time of my life. In every case where I have an LP and CD of the same recording, the LP trounces the CD for musical satisfaction, rhythm, and timbre.

Today I came home with 22 LPs from the 99-cent bin for $22--about the price of 1-1/2 to 2 CDs. My yield included a pristine Brothers in Arms and a still-sealed ECM-era Pat Metheny.
Hdm,
I neglected to discuss the DB systems phono pre. I'm a bit skeptical because I can't find any threads relating to it. I read the review you referenced, but it is from 1998, which leads me to more skepticism. But you seem quite persistant about it, and with Psychicanimal now chiming in, perhaps I should put it on my short list. I will most likely call Mr. Hadaway Monday and have a conversation with him. At $165 it is not to big of a gamble.

I stopped in to a local hi-fi shop today that specializes in vinyl and tubes. After my conversation there, I think I'm going to rule out the Bellari VP-129. They suggested that the Clearaudio Basic would be a good choice, with the Smartphono being an even better choice (of course)(said dealer carry's Bellari, but not Ghram Slee). He said they will do the Basic for $279.

What say you all?
I'm assuming it's the Clearaudio Micro Basic at $279. I considered it before purchasing the DB Systems. Not really familiar with it but anything I've read about it has not been very impressive; in written head to head reviews with other similar priced phono stages it usually finished near the bottom of the pack.

You can do a search on DB Systems at the vinylasylum. Not much, but there are a few positive comments generally pertaining to it hitting above its price range (ie. someone there as well preferring it to the Black Cube and another user who ended up going to the Sonic Frontiers-a $1000 phono stage-who felt the DB was a very good product). The DB flies under the radar as it is a one man operation now sold only direct to the public-no advertising, marketing, etc. David Hadaway is about as low key as you can get, but my experiences with him having owned two of his phono stages have been superb.

As I said before, if you order, have David Hadaway put in the basic subsonic filter for an extra $5.