Technics SL-1200MKII and AT-440MLa, very good

This may have been posted before but I just wanted to let others know my experiance and setup that has worked out great. Now after 50 hours of playing time the soundstage has really started to open up and I'm starting to hear some very good depth to sound. AT really have done a good job with the AT440MLa cartridge and I thought I would never hear a cart in this price range sound this good, not only match well with my Technics SL-1200MKII but also with my Electrocompaniet ECP-1 phono preamp that I upgraded a few years back and is just finally breaking in also. The recordings I have done to CD on my computer have come out really nice and sound better than the store bought ones, more real. This is my secondary system in the room but I would like to try the Technics and AT440MLa on my main system or even better with the Teres 255 I have with the ET2 arm, I have a ceond tonearm for the ET2 and I may just do this. I used to own a Technics 1600MKII back in the ealy 80's and right up to 95 then I bought the Linn LP12 then Teres255, but I never thought the Technics SL-1200 could sound so good but I do remember on some material back when I had the 1600MKII that the sound was really nice. I going to do a side by side comparision with the 1200MKII and Teres 255 both with the AT440MLa cart just to see how close they come or don't to each other. This could be very interesting.

It was really a great buy and I will be getting more of the AT440MLa's
coouugar
I've read your post, but am going to ask anyway. I just took delivery of my KAB SL-1210 MK5, Shure M97xE, and after some very careful setup, am not too impressed with the sound at this point. This is replacing an old Yamaha tt in my garage rig. How did yours sound right out of the box? Do you feel that the tt and/or cartridge require break-in? Kevin at KAB seem's to feel that break-in is a non-issue.
Post removed 
No offense but someone using a 1200 is likely making comparisons within the constraints of the DJ realm.
Analogbass, you're wrong, maybe you haven't heard a 1200 when calibrated properly. While it is obviously designed for a DJ environment, it is nonetheless a pretty high-end design and the basics of good turntable designs are the same for both audiophile and DJ applications - good isolation and low noise. The 1200's drive motor is far more accurate in speed stability than any belt drive, and the arm, although not a real top knotch design, is no slouch, and the table as a whole outfitted with a good matching audiophile cartridge (i.e. suitable weight and compliance with the Technics S-arm), will surprise you. The system sounds accurate, and not "euphonically colored" like many belt-driven designs can often sound. To go a step further, but at a far higher price point, try a well-assembled kit consisting of an SP-25, SP-15 or SP-10MkII, MkIIA or MkIII, all with a proper plinth and high-end arm. There are audiophiles swear these are the turntables to beat - at ANY price. These are professional tables made not only for radio stations, but their superbly engineered mechanics make them ideal for audiophiles too. Did you know that the best record-cutting machines use SP-10 motors and are NOT belt-driven?
There are obviously many good belt designs too, but don't let snob-ism make you believe an SL-1200MkII cannot make music, because it is very capable indeed.
The TT will not need break-in, but the cables will. Also, make sure the bearing has oil all the way to the top. Even though the manual states oiling should be done every 2000 hrs, there is a BIG sonic difference when the bearing is completely full.

Viridian is right about the Shure. You need a better cartridge. I use an Ortofon X5 high output MC and a KAB modded Stanton Groovemaster.