Adding damping fluid to Audioquest PT arms ????

Hello,

I am wondering about adding damping fluid to my Audioquest arm, mine is the PT6 model.

First I'm wondering what fluid/oil to buy and where for a fair price ?

Second how do you get it in and out of the little brass bowl without making a mess ?

Thirdly, do you have to remove the fluid eveytime you move the table, I'm talking within the house, such as off my rack, and on to a table to work on for instance.

Forth, do you have to readjust tracking force or other settings if you use the damping ? I read you can adjust the amount of damping by how tight you screw the oil welll cover on ? Is there a correct damping amount ? I will be using a Clearaudio Aurum Beta MkII cartridge.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Wayne
waynefia
I'm not familiar with that arm, but I can answer your first question:

www.turntablebasics.com

I own one of these arms( PT7). The manual said to just put a small amount in . You can tranport the turntable + not worry about spilling the silicon as long as you dont overfill or turn it completely over .You empty the silicone by using a cloth to wipe it all out .

needledoctor.com probally has the fluid .

By the way the Expressimo Heavy Weight counter weight available at the elusive disc.com makes a big improvement to this arm ( think bass ). But it is $120.00 .
ALL of the above applies to the PT 6 , 7 + 8 models only .
I am not familiar with other models .

Dave
Dave, thanks for the info. I bought one of the last Heavy Weights from Elusive Disc. I understand the thinking and that it is the "hot" arm setup, but what a pain to setup balance and tracking force I found. I also changed cartidges to a Clearaudio Aurum Beta MkII. They were done together, so I can't specifically praise either one, but wow what a difference in sound, verse the prior setup. First album I threw on Grover Washington, Winelight, the bass jumped out, and the width of the soundstage increased with sounds much beyond the width of the speakers before. I have to tell you I am not a real good at finding these miracle sound improvements, related to power cords, interconnects, or the latest hot tweeks, that are so easily tossed around. But this is one I could identify in the first few minutes.
Wayne, have you tried the PT6 absent of the fluid? I ask because I own a Loth-X modified PT6 which is one of the best bargains and one of the most flexible arms (in terms of cartridges) I've owned. As part of the Loth-X upgardes, they do away with the fluid altogether and add resonance material to the arm, rewire, etc. I am not sure how much each contributes, but the Loth-X arm sounds A LOT better than the stock PT6. MIGHT be worth a try.