Schroeder vs. Triplanar VII Sonic Differences

All,

I have read a lot of threads regarding the "superiortiy" of these tonearms in the right combinations of tables and catridges. However, there doesn't seem to be a lot said about the soncic characteristics of each brand and the differences between them. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts about their strengths and weaknesses, sonci characteristics, applicability to various types of music (rock, pop, classical, large scale, small scale, etc).

Will a Schroeder deliver dynamics, punch, bass suited to Rock music? Will a Triplanar deliver natural, timbral accuracy? Are both these arms suited to the same music?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew
aoliviero
I too have enjoyed the camaraderie found in this thread.

We have taken different paths to in-home audio reproduction excellence; however, we certainly share the love of music, the discovery related to seeing and hearing new hardware and the joy of life.

My only regret is that I’m located in the Nation’s heartland – Indianapolis -- NOT near CT, or NY. I’m sure meeting and sharing an adult beverage with you guys would be a blast!

Being in Indy did provide me a central/pass-thru location that prompted Thom Mackris to offer an in-home audition of his Galibier TT, while on his way to N.Y. in June of 2004.

As this was my first foray into vinyl playback since foregoing same in the 1980’s, it was revelatory. Although, electronic equipment problems required that I pull out a long-ago mothballed Phase Linear Pre-Amp (grin), the sonics of Thom’s table, a Graham tonearm, and a Denon 103R couldn’t be dampened, and more than prompted me to order a Galibier Quattro, and Tri-Planar arm from Thom.

BTW, for those of you who haven’t had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Mackris, you’re missing the chance to meet quite a gentleman. I enjoyed his personality, and marveled at his audio acumen, and love of this hobby. I know it’s a cliché to say as a manufacturer someone’s not in it for the money, but my experience with Thom proves this to be indeed true. Of course compensation for his time and capital outlay is important and necessary, but I’m convinced that Thom’s primary reward is helping the world experience a closer connection to the music that he and we all so love and enjoy!

Since my Galibier purchase, CD’s have taken a very distant (read miles) back seat to vinyl. Fortunately, I kept all the lp’s from my youth; however, I’ve been able to almost double that collection since 2004.

Scanning web sites, and visiting lp stores has become a wonderful pastime. In fact, just this weekend, I found a two-platter lp of hits issued by a now defunct radio station here in Indy (WIFE) – the one that received most of my youthful listening. Spending a buck a piece for the vinyl, garnered me a free album cover, with great pictures of the city and D.J.’s of the day. Two bucks for a brief walk in the past was more than enough payback for the money spent, and I haven’t even spun the records yet!

Hope this finds all well and by all means, please keep up the entertaining, and educational posts…..Cheers, Mike
Hi Mike.....the Galibier Quattro you puchased...isn't that the middle of the line of tables? I am also very interested in the Galibier and Teres. I am leaning toward the Ref Schroder but I could be convinced to try a Tri-Planer.
Rick (RWD)
Hi Tbg...can you explain a bit more? Don't go with the Schroder....or do?? Sorry, it's Sunday night and my brain slows down at this time.....!
Rick (RWD)
Rwd, you said, "...I could be convinced to try a Tri-Planer." I said don't do that.

As I said earlier, I had an early Tri-Planer and really thought it allowed dialing in the cartridge quite easily. It was also great to be able to set the VTA easily for individual records. I still have many records with the setting number written on them.

The Schroeder came much later and was not the Reference, although because it had the Reference arm tube, I thought it was. It came with my Loricraft 501. It was strikingly dynamic once I learned how to set properly the distance between the magnets, which is critical. I suspect the Schroeder is more rigid and hence the dynamics.

I now use the Shindo Labs, so I have no personal investment in either the Tri-Planer or the Schroeder.