What Digital Stylus Force Gauge Do You Like?

I bought a cheap unit, but it has no weight with it, so I am not sure how accurate it is. What digital stylus force gauge do you like? I am sure the Winds gauge is very good, but no way I can spend that kind of money. What reasonably priced gauges do you like?
slowhand
As Rushton says, VTF is best set by listening, using a test LP designed for this purpose if possible. If you have a stylus force gauge, and you want to calibrate it, a nickle coin weighs exactly 5 grams.
Rushton is correct of course, but there's another situation where a highly accurate scale is useful.

VTF settings on my tonearm are not inherently repeatable. Its only VTF mechanism is moving the counterweight, and the tiniest movement can throw VTF way off. Retightening the set screw can throw VTF way off again. Before I can use my fine VTF adjustment (sliding o-rings on the end shaft) I need to set the counterweight within .05g or so

Combine that scenario with a cartridge that needs a VTF tweak every time the temperature changes and the utility of a good scale becomes apparent very quickly.

Yes, we still have to fine tune by ear. But since I can only do that within a range of + or + .04g or so, a good scale is needed just to find the right starting point when setting the c/w.
Hi Doug, that's an interesting additional need for a precise gauge that I'll keep in mind.

Inpepinnovations (Bob P), that little B&O gauge always worked well for me, too, up to its weight capacity. Sounds like you and I share a similar philosophy on what works well for us with our systems!

Jsaah (Joe), glad the link was helpful. It's the small things that bring out the magic that our equipment is capable of delivering, and VTA/VTF for us analog nuts is one of those critical things. If you liked the turntable tuning suggestions, you might also enjoy reading Lloyd's comments elsewhere on his web site about how to listen critically to a system; I find those to be right on the mark, too.

Regards to all,
I tried the nickel test (assuming a nickel weighs 5 gr.) and my scale weighs it at 4.9gr. The owners manual for my ZYX Yatra has a tracking range of 1.7gr.-2.5gr. with a recommended tracking force of 2gr. If I assume my scales weigh light by .1gr. I find that records sound their best at 1.7gr. (scale set at 1.8gr.) I know this is on the very light side of the scale, but there is no mistracking and cymbals both shimmer more and have more weight to them at 1.7gr. At the recommeded 2gr. everything sounds kind of flat and dead sounding. I have played with the VTA at the 2gr. setting, but it still does not sound as good as at the 1.7gr. VTF. By the way, I am able to adjust VTA while playing a record (which is nice).

So, I think I am happier with the sound when I fine tune by using my ear and not the gauge.
Slowhand,
I just calibrated my scale and weighed a nickel. It measured 5.02g, so the assumption that your scale under-weighs by about .1g seems correct.

It sounds like you've got VTF well nailed. The sonic effects of excessive VTF that you hear with your Yatra are exactly what I hear with my UNIverse. The first evidence of mistracking I hear is a slight tizz or lack of focus on massed strings. If I hear that I know VTF needs to be bumped up slightly.

The concensus that most ZYX's prefer a slightly higher VTF doesn't invalidate your results. Individual cartridges vary, especially in this parameter. The elastomers used in suspensions display very complex and unpredictable behaviors at the molecular level. To say that most ZYX's prefer VTF's around 1.9 - 2.0g is only a probability statement. Mine likes 1.92-2.10 depending on the weather. Cello's likes 2.15, even though he's in a warmer climate where one would expect lower VTF's. YMMV and trust your ears.