Which Stax headphones- best bang for the buck

I would like to replace my Koss ESP 950 headphones with Stax headphones. Naturally, I would like to make a step up. Which Stax headphones (and amplifier) offer the best sound for the money and why? Thanks in advance.
128x128pugstub
Hello

I have a Stax Classic 3030,and I am very happy with it!Class A amp,and same electrostatic element as the Signature 404.
Enjoy!
I am a former owner of a pair of Stax headphones, and agree they make fine products. I recently switched from my Stax SR-80's to the Sennheiser HD600, and think they are a substantial improvement over the Stax. Infact, I said in a post earlier this week that I think the HD600's are the best headphones I've heard, other than the Stax Lambdas which were a lot more expensive. I urge you to give the HD600's a good audition before you make a purchase -- they can be purchased new from AudioAdvisor right now for $300, and are often available on Audiogon for around $225. Just a suggestion...
You didn't say whether you were going to buy new or used. I have the older Lambda Professional and Lambda Signature earspeakers and SRM-1/MK-2 and SRM-T1 headphone amps. I recommend the Signatures (or equivalent in the current Stax line) because the bass response is far superior to the Professionals. The amps are in different systems, and I have never done an a/b comparison. Both sound good.

I haven't heard the Koss headphones. I agree with Sdcampbell that the Sennheiser HD600's are excellent for the price, but the Signatures are better.
I had the Lambda/Class A amp combo and thought it was great. I also used the headphone amp as a preamp for my regular system since it was also designed for that purpose. I eventually got out of headphones because I preferred to feel the music throughout my entire body as well as just my ears. Even though I don't play very loud, there is something about the feel of the music that is not experienced when you wear headphones.