Music Hall MMF-5: laid back sound?

I just got my first "real" turntable, a Music Hall MMF-5. The image stability, channel separation, soundstaging and lack of noise are leagues beyond anything I've encountered in my experiences with older direct-drive tables and lesser belt driven designs. I'm feeling, however, that the dynamics are a little reigned in with the MMF-5, and the bass is a bit mushy. The cart is the stock Goldring 1012 and it was set up by a local analog guru who's done right by me in setting up other tables. I replaced the rubber feet with BDR cones (3 of 'em) and have the table leveled on a granite platform which is spiked to the floor, so I don't think isolation is (exclusively) the issue. I also replaced the stock felt mat with a Herbie's Way Excellent mat. I considered rolling the Amperex orange globe 6922s in my phono stage (modified Moscode Super It, pretty sweet!) for something a little livelier, like maybe new tubes from Electro Harmonix, but that's getting into the whole tone-control trip. I already have very transparent cables in the chain (Audio Art IC3, see my review), and my current setup of an ATI 1502, passive pre and Dynaudio 50s should let all the good stuff through, so maybe this is just the character of the table. Is there something else I can do here, or should I look at a Rega for more snap and tighter bass?
jfacker
Do not look at Rega for anything. They are fine tables for the price, as are MMF tables. Dan_ed is right when he says you need to purchase a 1.5K or more (retail) table to get into the next notch. A Rega will only disappoint.

Also, do not get too bogged down with purchasing other carts and expensive tweaks on the MMF5. You are running into the area diminishing marginal returns at the moment. Rather look at getting that table.

Regards
Paul
The Sumiko BPS does not really have a "hyped" up treble so much as one with a correct frequency response out to 35KHz.This is what the majority of records properly mastered in analogue require.It would be problematic therefore for your speakers if your tweeters don't have at least a frequency response out to this,so you would look elsewhere.I think it is time for you to do a cartridge upgrade from the stock model the table came with and there are many choices.Don't listen to these other members that are rushing to your wallet saying you have nirvana at this price point.You like your table and want to improve it further.If you have patience get a Denon 103 and break it in for 50 hours.
Unfortunately the Denon 103 will not even come close to reaching its' potential with the MMF-5 tonearm. Bad investment.
Why do you say that?Is it the cartridge resonance factor?I estimate around 16Hz which is fine.I suppose you don't think it's any good on a dreaded Rega arm also.
From the only serious study of cartridge resonance by Paol Ladegaard."The first thing to do is to raise the(cartridge resonance) frequency to 15-18Hz and then ideally damp the system to a Q of 0.5...In pursuit of this goal one should not make trade-offs with respect to rigidity of the tonearm tube and fixture..."Both Rega and Project arms are suitable especially with the Denon 103.They actually get close to Ladegaard's requirements.