Budget Linear track table?

Does this animal even exist? I ask because my dad had a B&O Linear table that sounded really nice, it ws $500 new wich in todays dollars would make it around $2k I guess. I know this is probably a dumb question but all the same does anyone make a entry level Linear table? thanks Chad
chadnliz
I still have a Technics SL-QL1 Linear Tracking Turntable which came as a package when I purchased a used JBL L-212 some twenty years ago. This quartz direct drive plug-in p-mount cartridge turntable still works flawlessly today although it is hardly used as it is confined to an unoccupied 4th bedroom. I note in the 1984 Stereo Buyer's Guide that listed for $470 and was more expensive than the Sl-1200 Disco Turntable which listed for $400. In the same guide, there were lesser priced linear tracking models, SL-7 at $300 and SL-6 at $240.

The SL-QL1 is robustly built with a net weight of 16.3 lbs. and good working examples should still be able to be found.

The only thing I have done with mine was to replace the cartridge with a Shure/Radio Shack cartridge. I think that a tribute to its dependability is that it performs flawlessly despite not being exercised often, and I can think of only a few brands of cameras whose shutters will still work flawlessly after being unexercised for many years.

Please keep us informed of what your thoughts and searches lead you to.
Why dont more care for the older BO tables? Seems to me they were not terrible, maybe not the end all be all but were they not easy on the ears?
I had mine for 25 years before the motor in the arm gave out, and I've literally played 10 of thousands of albums on it. I'm buying another I found on Ebay.

Bob
I have done a search fot linear tracking turntables on Google. I found two references for you :http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?ranlg&1047536335&openfrom&21&4
also a comment on another site about budget linear tracking tables, with comments on B&O tables:http://www.stereomanuals.com/articles/jack-holmes_linear-turntables.htm Now if only those who monitor these written words will make sure the links come thru;)-~