About Lugnut -- Patrick Malone

Many of us have come to know Patrick Malone (Lugnut) as a friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and kind individual. He is a frequent and enthusiastic contributor to our analog discussion forum. He has initiated only 17 threads, but responded to 559 threads. I would guess that many, if not most, of us can recall a time when Pat replied with helpful advice to a question we posted or helped us track down a rare recording. I have come to love Pat as a friend, and to respect him as a man, and I suspect many of you share those feelings.

Today I write to share difficult news with you. Pat has been diagnosed with an aggressive stomach cancer. It has yet to be determined whether surgery will even be worth it. If surgery is performed, most or all of the stomach will be removed, and Pat would face a difficult and long post-op period in the hospital. The medical course is still uncertain, but will be determined soon. Whatever is decided, it will not be easy or pleasant.

Something may be planned in the future to assist the family. For now, Pat could use some of the friendship he so often and willingly showed us. You can email Pat at: [email protected]. You can also mail cards, letters ... or whatever. You may email me for Pat's mailing address. My email is: [email protected].

I hope to spend a few days with Pat in Idaho or Nebraska (from which he hails) soon. Between this news, my legal work, getting ready for family arriving for the holidays, Audio Intelligent, and trying to make plans to visit Pat, my head is spinning. If you email me and I don't respond, please understand that I am not ignoring you, but rather simply do not have time to reply.

Pat may or may not have time to respond to posts here, to emails, or to cards mailed to him. But he has asked me to convey to each and every one of you that he has cherished your friendship, your comradery, and sharing our common hobby on this great website.

As we prepare for our holiday season celebrations, and look forward to -- as we should -- enjoying this time of year, I ask that you keep Pat and his family in mind ... and softly offer up, in quiet moments in the still of night and early morning, prayers for Pat and his family. God bless.

Warmest regards to all,
Paul Frumkin
paul_frumkin
I've never posted here before, but that's okay. Pat was a dear and close friend of mine for twenty some years and I'm very touched by all the postings...He was an exceptional friend and one of my closest and dearest buddies. He even took the time this last summer to help me build my first Hi-end audio system and now I'm hooked...thanks Pat. I'll never forget the time he took us to a concert (karla Boniff)and sit us front row,dead center..(sweet spot). I know that's where Pat is now and he's saving me a seat...It's been my good fortune to have know him and to be able to go to thier home on Sunday and spin some albums. Pats latest Neil Young album was Prairie Wind and that's were he is now...you just have to listen......rest in peace old friend
Hi everybody, hi Barb, hi Pat. I was surprised at how upset I was at hearing this news. Even more surprising looking at my background. I am a health care provider specializing in Lou Gehrigs Disease. All of my patients are my friends. I have seen many friends pass away. But I miss Lugnut. I never met him and regret that I didn't. But we have chatted on the phone a few times over the past year or so. Seemed like I was talking to an old lifelong buddy from the start. So what has had me so troubled. I was afraid of loosing something more than a friend.

I think that what attracted so many people to this post, that attracted so many people to Pat is that in many ways we all have some Lugnut in us, and Pat gave us the opportunitty to live out our inner "Lugnuts". He allowed us the opportunity to share openlly in community and shared love of something that we all in our way find beautiful and dear, music. Life. Joy.

With Pat, either in e-mails or over the phone, I got to be a little more honest, open, happy, joyfull, soft, humble. These are parts of me that Pat helped bring out and I do not want to let go of these things.

I still want to let my inner "Lugnut" run free.

But I felt kind of on my own these past few days.

Then I woke up this morning, went for a walk. I said a warm good morning to everyone I possibly could, while all the while picturing Lugnut in the cockpit of that plane. I came home, listened to some music, and got back on the horse. I sure want to continue with this community that Pat has helped fuel.

With that is mind I would like to sponsor one nights lodging for the "scholarship" for a young person to attend the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. I am sure others will be able to help with other needs. I want to honor my friend. I want to thank him and remember him. I want to show thanks to Barb for sharing her Lugnut. But most of all I want to continue what Mr. Lugnut has started.

dav
...haven't posted a while here but kept on watching and reading with sorrow.

deep condolences to mrs Pat Malone

Pat will always be with us!

Mark
There has been talk about a memorial to our beloved Lugnut. The idea that Davt mentioned has been discussed before. I don't know if anyone is interested in this, but it would be nice to see something set up to maintain the presence or memory of Pat Malone here on AudiogoN.

If people are interested in doing this, or have other suggestions, perhaps another thread could be started to get the ball rolling. Any ideas Paul, or others who have been so faithful in posting and caring for Pat?
I first stumbled across this thread back in early May, and read through it for a couple of days before posting on May 5th.
Although I haven't posted much since then, I have continued to read it with a sense of joy, and dread, at the same time.
I know that you all helped Patrick a lot as he continued to fight this awful disease, in a very Public Forum, with grace, humour and courage.
However, he also helped all of us who have not had the horrifying experience of having to watch a loved one die slowly like that. It will help us deal with that awful reality should we ever be confronted with it personally. This thread will exist here for a long time, and can be used as an inspirational tool to convince similarly afflicted people and their loved ones that life should be lived to its fullest until your time runs out.

Barb, you have my sympathies for the loss of Patrick. Things will be busy around you for a while I expect. But, if you ever feel lonely, you know now that some support, friends and advice are as close as your computer keyboard.