About Lugnut -- Patrick Malone

Many of us have come to know Patrick Malone (Lugnut) as a friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and kind individual. He is a frequent and enthusiastic contributor to our analog discussion forum. He has initiated only 17 threads, but responded to 559 threads. I would guess that many, if not most, of us can recall a time when Pat replied with helpful advice to a question we posted or helped us track down a rare recording. I have come to love Pat as a friend, and to respect him as a man, and I suspect many of you share those feelings.

Today I write to share difficult news with you. Pat has been diagnosed with an aggressive stomach cancer. It has yet to be determined whether surgery will even be worth it. If surgery is performed, most or all of the stomach will be removed, and Pat would face a difficult and long post-op period in the hospital. The medical course is still uncertain, but will be determined soon. Whatever is decided, it will not be easy or pleasant.

Something may be planned in the future to assist the family. For now, Pat could use some of the friendship he so often and willingly showed us. You can email Pat at: [email protected]. You can also mail cards, letters ... or whatever. You may email me for Pat's mailing address. My email is: [email protected].

I hope to spend a few days with Pat in Idaho or Nebraska (from which he hails) soon. Between this news, my legal work, getting ready for family arriving for the holidays, Audio Intelligent, and trying to make plans to visit Pat, my head is spinning. If you email me and I don't respond, please understand that I am not ignoring you, but rather simply do not have time to reply.

Pat may or may not have time to respond to posts here, to emails, or to cards mailed to him. But he has asked me to convey to each and every one of you that he has cherished your friendship, your comradery, and sharing our common hobby on this great website.

As we prepare for our holiday season celebrations, and look forward to -- as we should -- enjoying this time of year, I ask that you keep Pat and his family in mind ... and softly offer up, in quiet moments in the still of night and early morning, prayers for Pat and his family. God bless.

Warmest regards to all,
Paul Frumkin
paul_frumkin
Pat, this is Derek in Omaha. I wish I could make it to Idaho,it must be beautiful. I spent the weekend in a meditation group. There was much discussion about experiencing God here NOW. It is everyone's birthright! One topic that came up more than most was, death. Everyone was expressing the love they felt from those that were going "home", and the GIFT that it was to be with them in those last days. Pat, you were on my mind and in my prayers this weekend and everyday since I started reading this thread. God, bless you and your family.
Pat,
I have continued to think about you daily and lately, it seems more like hourly.
Our conversations have been wonderful, happy, sad, poignant, inspiring, frustrating and full of love.
I am blessed to have had the chance to know you and my life has changed as a by product of your courage and insights. I have always felt blessed for my family and life, but knowing you has greatly enhanced my perspective and appreciation for life and my blessings.
Thank you first for being such a good friend and then for sharing so openly with all of us, for your display of courage in facing what we must all handle at some point. I pray that I will handle it all with even half the grace you have displayed.
I dread not being able to pick up the phone to give you a call and will miss you greatly. I am and will always be grateful for all that you have shared with me.
Thanks for being my good friend and such an inspiration to all of us.
Love,
Larry
Pat,

Thank you for your inspiration - it has not only helped us bond as a community, it has helped humanity as a whole.

I don't post much here anymore--

Be assured I have followed not only your journey, but your guidance, and for that I thank you!

In this little known (to the world) forum, you have taught me to see through eyes that awakened me, allowing me to become my own-- a rare event in my life.

If this sounds "deep" indeed it is, because I have learned that life isn't all about VTA or VTF ...

It's about appreciation, gratitude, fun, love, and of course music!

It's what you learned' me :) thank you --

Oh yea,Pat & Barb-- If you have a new pup in the house, I have news for ya! you better go buy new shoes for the next year! Pets snuggled next to you with your fav'rite tunes are the very best. Hugs!

Love ya buds !~

Richard
Hi Pat and Barb.

I have been following this thread for some time now, but haven’t been able to write. I felt the need to now. I lost my father to stomach cancer all of 7 years ago on New Years day, 1998. I was 18, and he was about to turn 50.

November 1st was the day that we learned of his diagnosis, and were told that he had 6 weeks to live. Our family made all out war on the cancer, and he lived for 14 months. I have been reliving my own personal experiences, as many of those here on audiogon have, through your story.

As I have been filling out my medical school applications, I am surprised at how often my thoughts have turned to your story. I suppose it is the deep personal memories that this thread evokes, but I wanted to let you know that, weather you want it or not, a piece of you has now become part of me. I cannot help this, but I am grateful for it. My father enjoyed living an agonizing and torturous 14 months to their fullest. I used to think that I was powerless to help him, that I could do nothing for him. It has taken me a long time to realize that I did more for him than any chemo or surgery did, by being with him, by listening, traveling when we could, by taking time out of being an 17yr old pain in the ass, to be a son and a friend. I don't really know where I am going with this, but it feels good to write it, I hope it helps you feel good in reading it.

John M Lawrence IV
(Windzilla)
Audiophile Greenhorn

P.S. Barb, often, when I say "you" in this post, I am referring not only to Pat, but to you as well, I just have a hard time expressing that sentiment into words.