About Lugnut -- Patrick Malone

Many of us have come to know Patrick Malone (Lugnut) as a friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and kind individual. He is a frequent and enthusiastic contributor to our analog discussion forum. He has initiated only 17 threads, but responded to 559 threads. I would guess that many, if not most, of us can recall a time when Pat replied with helpful advice to a question we posted or helped us track down a rare recording. I have come to love Pat as a friend, and to respect him as a man, and I suspect many of you share those feelings.

Today I write to share difficult news with you. Pat has been diagnosed with an aggressive stomach cancer. It has yet to be determined whether surgery will even be worth it. If surgery is performed, most or all of the stomach will be removed, and Pat would face a difficult and long post-op period in the hospital. The medical course is still uncertain, but will be determined soon. Whatever is decided, it will not be easy or pleasant.

Something may be planned in the future to assist the family. For now, Pat could use some of the friendship he so often and willingly showed us. You can email Pat at: [email protected]. You can also mail cards, letters ... or whatever. You may email me for Pat's mailing address. My email is: [email protected].

I hope to spend a few days with Pat in Idaho or Nebraska (from which he hails) soon. Between this news, my legal work, getting ready for family arriving for the holidays, Audio Intelligent, and trying to make plans to visit Pat, my head is spinning. If you email me and I don't respond, please understand that I am not ignoring you, but rather simply do not have time to reply.

Pat may or may not have time to respond to posts here, to emails, or to cards mailed to him. But he has asked me to convey to each and every one of you that he has cherished your friendship, your comradery, and sharing our common hobby on this great website.

As we prepare for our holiday season celebrations, and look forward to -- as we should -- enjoying this time of year, I ask that you keep Pat and his family in mind ... and softly offer up, in quiet moments in the still of night and early morning, prayers for Pat and his family. God bless.

Warmest regards to all,
Paul Frumkin
paul_frumkin
Doug,

Your story about Paul really makes me angry and sad. I'm angry that there is so much unnecessary suffering because the health care industry doesn't (at times) listen. I'm sad for the suffering. I'm angry and sad that this is added to by the not subtle gay bashing you experienced. Approve or disapprove of your lifestyle is irrelevent because it is not our place to judge. Paul is just too wonderful a person to go through this crap.

Still, I'm amazed by the capacity of many in the health care field to give of their inner selves. I've been lucky. The guy that gave us the tickets is an almost retired emergency room doctor. He's come to my home several times and cried with me. As if he doesn't experience enough of this at work. Gary, from Canada calls regularly, researches my needs and sends me medicines free of charge. My oncologist cares deeply about me and has cried about my situation many times. There are wonderful people helping me and I'm so lucky.

Nice review Howard. Man, I bet you were up all night doing that one handed. Sorry I had to ask but I didn't go. Speaking of which...

The last 48 hours have been a nosedive. In a general sense my complaints are the same but I am changing. Those things I experience like eating, drinking, sleeping and vomiting are all much different now. I am so very tired. I'm sleeping much more than before and don't want to get up unless I must. I think I'm close to turning the corner guys. It's difficult to compose my thoughts and harder yet to type them to you. I very much enjoy reading what you guys have to say so please continue to write. Just don't expect me to write anything.

A package arrived last night while the others were at the concert. It's a morphine pump and I don't know what else. I had received a call yesterday that Hospice may stop by today to hook me up and I suspect they'll come even though I said it's no big deal and they could do it during the day next week. A catheter is in the near future too. I'm looking forwad to both of these things. Isn't that weird? My position is it's okay as long as it makes things easier for me and those that care for me.

Barb is no longer going to work, beginning today, which I cherish the thought of. I just love being near her. While she has agreed to post for me I wonder just how capable she is of doing it. She's a wonderful writer but is kind of insecure about it so it takes her far too long. I just sit and blurt it out. If she doesn't do a good job I know that Nate or Howard or someone else will fill in the blanks for you.

What I'm trying to say is that I fear I'm not coherant. I don't have confidence that I am. I'm just about too tired to even try. I feel I'm in a free fall now. Please don't expect anything and forgive me if I try and then stumble. I know that I can't keep up with returning emails any longer and will not post to other threads and just concentrate on this one. Who knows? Maybe I'll have a small improvement but I think we all agree that is highly unlikely. I'm just trying to explain that the time to continue doing what I am at this moment is growing very short. Please offer up a prayer for me to pass on sooner rather than later. Rejoice whenever you learn I'm gone. I'm axious for this to be over. I only hope you understand. Remember to keep the messages contained in this thread alive and well inside your hearts.

I love you all. Your help has been immeasureable. Keep writing. If I can't get in here to read then the posts will be read to me.
Hi Pat and all:

This thread is something more than a sermon. I'm convinced it has, and will continue to have, a life of it's own. Although Pat is leaving us, and a part of me will go with him, I believe a part of him, his best,.. will stay with me (and us all)....if I'm lucky. I just hope that I can keep my eye on it when he is not here to point it out.

One finds real strength and truth in life where one can. It is a rare and fleeting thing...at least in my life. It sneaks into view between talk of tubes and wire and God knows what other diversions. Usually, I fear, it goes right by me.

I've found it in this thread...as unlikely as that may be. Like many of us, I've had close friends who have died and this thread has tapped into all those unresolvable issues. Pat has added his own unique strength and character to it that I can't even begin to describe or do justice to. One could put many forms around it and call it this or that. Words really don't reach it. It's felt as much as thought. Perhaps that is why so many of us are touched by music.

Thanks for being there Howard, and God bless you Barb.

Craig
Post removed