TUNERS..anyone?

Hey all,Im getting back into the FM thing since I was given a Adcom GFT-1A
The antenna is a $15 Radio Shack cat.# 15-1843 it is about 4"x4" and 1/2" thick.It seems to pull in stations really good and lights up the signal strength meter on the tuner to 5 out of 5.
I love the sound of this tuner and it's my first adventure with good FM.I can't believe how transparent,warm and smooth this thing sounds.My only complaint is the drums(rock music/metal) coming through with lack of slam.The drums seem like they are far away,distant like.If I crank the volume that helps some but they still just don't have the slam Im use to with vinyl and CD.
1) whats up with that?
2) WHY does FM sound so DAMN good??
3) Whats a KILLER tuner (used) for <$1K?
david99
Most FM stations compress the music deliberately because their primary target audience are drivers in a noisy car environment or listening on a boom box. I've never seen the need for a high-end tuner for precisely this reason.
Hi David; I know very little about tunas-- except the ones that smell bad after a few days. But oddly, I just purchased an Adcom GFT-1A a couple months ago also. I have it hooked to a MD ST-2 whip antenna, and even though I just get 4-5 stations clearly (I'm in the boondocks), it sounds pretty darn good-- clear, smooth, and non-fatiguing-- pretty much like you describe.

However, I find it to be lacking in dynamics-- except when listening to a PBS college station, and then it does sound fairly dynamic-- haven't paid much attention to bass though. Do FM stations generally broadcast a compressed signal? I have taken this lack of dynamics to mean that the sound quality has more to do with the broadcast signal than the quality of the tuna. I bought the Adcom as a secondary music source, and maybe some PAC-10 football games, and for my needs it's just fine. Cheers. Craig
I can't add much to what has already been said, but I will concur with the message that recommends spending time on the Vintage Tuner Web site. (Great site!) Also check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FMtuners/

The best bang for your buck, and probably best bang period, will be in a vintage tuner from back when R&D was going into tuners.

I have owned one of the modern "super" tuners and now have a Yamaha T-2 from circa '78. The Yammie is better!
Second the Magnum Etude. The reason Rock sounds nasty on FM is because almost all rock/pop stations compress the signal. Here in Canada CBC radio 2 has all day Classical/Jazz without commercials and the signal is uncompressed. This is the ONLY station that I ever listen to on the Etude because most other stations sound quite nasty and there's lots of commercials.. So find a good station and a Magnum Etude or a Fanfare and you'll be quite happy.
in WBGO, NJ DJs use broadcast TT and play records very often.
Compressed music is in the nature of FM signal and less-likely it's because of loud car stereos.