The end of pono?

I've just heard that Neil Young has given an interview where he says that they have made a number of mistakes, gone through a number of CEO's, with him now acting as CEO, and that he woul like to get out of the hardware side of things. Aparrently just becoming a licencing authority, e.g.
"Pono Approved" product.

Also, I read that Pono will be releasing hi rez Beatles files. Really? And I thought that the most recent vinyl was cut from down sampled copies and that nobody at on the production side felt it mattered to have hi Rez copies.

Anybody know what is really going on?
raymonda
Oh, great, the article turns out to huge double blind testing rant. I did not see that coming.
"01-13-15: Rpeluso
Curious to know, are you in the 99, or are you the one?
Rpeluso (Threads | Answers | This Thread)"

I can't be in the 99. If I wasn't part of the 1, there's no way I could made my last post.
Go over to the Pono forum and read about some of the user issues that need fixing.
An interesting concept that insures you get what you paid for, and not up-samplings of lower resolution files. I was on the site this morning and was pleased with the amount of content available. I'm waiting to see if the hard ware bugs get worked out before I commit.
We are all part of the 99, the key to relocating to being a 1 is identifying the topic which is difficult when we all choose to believe that we are always a 1.

Is it possible that for 9,999 out of 10,000 there isn't an audible difference with high resolution files? Maybe the article is good advice for the vast majority. My biggest reservation would be the value in a portable player as it would also require upgraded headphones beyond what most anyone has to have a chance of hearing a difference. I have even dropped back to MP3 for my iPod because it is extremely difficult to hear the difference with my work system. The files are not the primary limiting factor.

Is it possible that the difference that some find to be audible is a result of differences in the hardware or software used to play the high resolution files? Claims of superiority among CD players are common so comparing different circuitry and signal paths used to play different resolution files will always be apples and oranges at some level. Is it impossible for a high resolution capable source to sound inferior to a standard resolution source? Why then can we assume that the high resolution is superior without question?