Before They Were Famous

What artists did you see on the way up, before superstardom?
Anyone lucky enough to see the Beatles in Germany? If so, the thread should stop there. Until then, I have two. Aerosmith played at my high school Junior Prom, Stepinac High School in White Plains, N.Y., and I was lucky enough to see John Belushi do Joe Cocker in "Lemmings" at the Village Gate in N.Y.C. around 1970, just before SNL.
blbloom
Well Exley sounds now that your on Florida and the Allman Brothers remember what the group was called before they became famous? This is during their Florida days.
I saw Ani DiFranco when she used to wear an old army jacket and play solo with just her guitar back here at the University of Buffalo. And maybe these weren't really early sightings, but I saw Billy Joel when he opened for the Doobie Brothers in a local hall. And my favorite was when Badfinger played at a local high school ('69 or '70?). And a nod to Jeffloistarca. We too discovered the Tragically Hip a few years ago, and they are fantastic. Being that Buffalo is a border town with Canada, we get a good chance the hear a lot of great Canadian music which others may not get to hear.
Don't know if this qualifies, but I saw Elton John in Sept, 1972 play solo in a small College Auditorium in the mid-west to a bunch of really tuned out WASP type preppies. He gave a GREAT!! Rocking performance, shoes on the keys, everything. I believe it was shortly after this he started attracting attention.
This may not qualify either but I saw ZZ Top in the very early 70's in a small gym at Alfred university in NY state.They didnt have a stage,just played on the floor with the crown only 3-4 feet away.I remember I was so close I got sweat splashed on me from one of the members.I hadnt heard of them at the time.I remember they were loud and great with the crowd.
Red Hot Chili Peppers in a bar called Wild Blue Yonder in Fresno, CA in the early 80's. They would play with nothing on but socks on their....... well.....
Some of the guys from Tower of Power used to stop in there too... (different nights) of course this was WAY after they were famous...