Bricasti M1 USB

I just picked up the Bricasti DAC a couple of weeks ago. Hands down, it's top notch. I'd been using the Sonic Frontiers SFD-2 mkii since 1995 or so. And I still think the SF is a great DAC. But the Bricasti is, well, something special.

I've demoed the Weiss 202 Firewire, Aesthetix Pandora and MSB Analog DAC and the Platinum Signature. The MSB Platinum Sig (at $23K) was great... but it wasn't another $14K better than the Bricasti, at least for my wallet. The MSB Analog DAC was incredible but I liked the Bricasti better. It had a presence and presentation that just seemed right to me. Granted, when I compared the MSB and Bricasti, I was listening on a unfamiliar system, albeit very high-end... Constellation pre/power amp and Magico Q3s.

When I got the Bricasti in my system I was thrilled. I've got Cary 211AE monoblocks, Cary SLP-98 Pre, Vivid B1 speakers, Organic and Nordost cables.

I had the Sonic Frontiers SFD-2 mkii for 15+ years and I could happily live with the Bricasti for the next 15 years.
marty97x
Lasercd, how would you characterize the DSD you are listening too? How is it different from PCM?

BTW, did you audition other DAC's before settling on the M1?
I'm also considering the Bricasti. I listened to it in the Harbeth room at RMAF and it sounded wonderful.

On my list of candidates are the Meitner MA-1, MSB Platinum Sig and the Bricasti.

Mike
DSD has a very distinct sound (to my ears at least). Notes are rounder. Perhaps you can characterize it as more analogue sounding than PCM. Its probably not the ultimate in detail compared to hi-res PCM but its something that is just really pleasant on the ears.

I didn't listen to a lot of different units before I bought the M1. I had been using the Accustic Arts DAC I Mk 4 for some time. It was a very good DAC but time had passed it by. I was able to get the M1 on a brief loan. I immediately understood that it was working on a different playing field. Given the geneology of the DAC and the company itself, it became a no-brainer for me.

Since I've owned the unit I've seen it through various software updates and hardware upgrades. I've heard DACs from EMM, DCS and MSB (albeit not in my system). Great DACs but I prefer the Bricasti.

I love the ability to dial the unit in by changing filters. It makes a huge difference.

I'm not saying its the ultimate DAC but given its reasonable price I think it blows away the competition. YMMV.
I have no doubts that the M1 is a fantastic DAC. I will listen to the M1, the exaSound e20, the Analog DAC, and the Berkley DAC 2, and then decide which works best in my room and rig.

I've downloaded several DSD files and they sound very good even with Adirvana converting them to PCM on-the-fly; really looking forward to hearing this music in Native DSD on a top notch DAC... Will report back on this later...