Taming edge from remastered CDs?

It seems a common trait in my system that re-mastered CDs have better resolution and spatial information (e.g., 2003 Rhino "Fragile" by Yes) but seem sort of edgy and a little hard sounding. No such problem w/regular CDs or vinyl. I've been thinking about an equalizer to use for listening to only such recordings. Just tame the upper frequencies a little. Any suggestions? System is Cyber 800SE monoblocks, Consonance Ref 50 Preamp, David Schulte mod'd. Denon 2910, KAB mod'd Technics w/Heed Quasar Phono-pre. Acoustic treatments in use. Again, issue is with a minor segment of the listening I do.
128x128ghosthouse
"FWIW, I use an Oknyo DX-C390 CD changer as a transp. (certainly nothing special there), out via a Mapleshade Double Helix, digital RCA to a Monarchy DIP Combo, out via another Helix, to a Ric-Schultz-modified, diffrentially balanced Begringer DEQ2496."

You are evidently trying to address jitter, but believe me, you are not even remotely close to getting there. The digital source is THE MOST IMPORTANT thing in the system, next to the speakers and amps. Even more important than a modded DAC. I used to mod the DIP for customers, but I dont mod anymore. There are much better ways than this to reduce jitter in CD players. However you must either replace your transport with a megabuck transport and then re-write your CDs to reduce pit jitter, or add a better reclocker to your existing transport that totally blocks its jitter.

Even if you do either of these, it will still not approach the jitter levels now possible with USB interfaces, at least some of them. For the same money, you are better off to buy a 2009 Mac Mini and a USB converter than an expensive CD transport. I have had many CD transports from customer in my system over the years, which I used to mod for them. None of thse hold a candle to a good USB interface.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
"It has to do with some sand paper and a black magic marker that you use on your cd's!I tried it and it works pretty awesome!!."

You would get better results if you rewrote the CD on CDROM from a .wav file ripped using dbpoweramp on a PC. Use Mitsui Gold Audio Master CDROM disks and clean with with a a good conditioner before burning them. Use a plextor drive on 1X speed.

Even after all of this however, it will still not be as good as just playing back the .wav file using a good USB converter from a Mac Mini. Been there and done that. Seems like a lot of trouble just to try to salvage an aging technology. I have not had a CD transport in my rack for probably 5 years.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Audioengr, thanks for tip on the Mac Mini, I've been stumped so far as to the Onkyo's replacement. Don't want to hijack the thread, but, which Mini would be best? (Somewhat unfamiliar with the computer end of things).
Ivan - I have tried several minis, including the Mach2music when they were around. The best I have found is the late 2009 with AC adapter:

http://www.empiricalaudio.com/computer-audio/recommended-systems

http://eshop.macsales.com/Descriptions/specs/Framework.cfm?page=macminilate09.html

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Audioengr - Mind translating into words of one syllable for the digital ignorant?

"playing back the .wav file using a good USB converter from a Mac Mini."

OK - I know I can copy a CD onto my computer's hard drive as a .wav file. What's a USB converter? Do you mean computer USB out to DAC to pre-amp? Why a Mac Mini, and in particular a 2009 version? Will no other PC, Laptop or Netbook work?

Thanks in advance.