Recommended USB- SPDIF converter for Metrum Octave

I am looking for a USB to SPDIF converter to use with a Metrum Octave DAC. The primary ones under consideration are:

1. JKSPDIF Mk III ($460)
2. Audiophilleo 2 with Pure Power ($999)
5. Wavelength Audio WaveLink ($900)

These configuration would be computer->USB to SPDIF->Metrum Octave->Rogue Cronus->Harbeth P3ESR

Aside from the obvious cost consideration favoring the JKSPDIF Mk III and Linux support favoring the Audiophilleo, can anyone comment on how the sound compares for any of the units?

I would prefer to hear from Metrum owners and owners of the aforementioned converters, but any other recommendations from owners of similar USB to SPDIF converters using them with the Metrum Octave would be appreciated. The reason for asking before looking further is that I came across these comments from John Darko on the DAR website.

"How does the Audiophilleo compare to the JKSPDIF? I get asked this question a lot. I've tried them both with a wide array of budget DACs over many, many months. There really isn't that much to separate them sonically. I could happily live with either (in the long-term) but I distinctly preferred the JKSPDIF with the Metrum Octave - it seemed to bring out more elasticity and tame some of the glassiness."

"Last week a buddy and I sat down to compare four different DACs. Whilst I won't divulge the conclusions here (this piece is about transports, remember?), we both agreed that the Audiophilleo seemed to overcook the upper-mids on a couple of decoding boxes. This wrinkle was ironed flat with a digital attenuator. The JKSPDIF MK3 seems to be kinder/gentler overall. Perhaps it's the battery technology?"

Can anyway comment as to whether or not they have shared his experience of the Audiophilleo? I believe his experience was without the Pure Power unit, and I was wondering how much of a change that had brought to the table for Audiophilleo owners, understanding that these characterizations are often system dependent.
anonymoustao
Thank you for the candid respone, Steve. I appreciate it. It seems like your solution is among the best, judging from reviews and forum accounts, but it's too rich for my blood at $2250 with TC+Hynes, especially considering the rest of the system it'd be used in.

Hew, I believe John Kenny, Audiophilleo and Empirical Audio all offer a trial period after purchase, so that's your best bet to start. I don't care about video issues, so I'll start with the JKSPDIF. You might just start with the AP2 and see how you like it in your system. You can always move up to the Empirical and make upgrades to it over time if the AP2 doesn't work for you. From my reading, Steve is correct that there is no DAC completely immune to jitter. I would stick with the Octave if you like it and find a solution that works for your ears and your wallet.

Vicdamone, what are you using with your Metrum?
One you might want to check out is the little Digital Interface from GD Audio.
I don't make it a habit ordering from China, but after reading about it I ordered one. It cost less then $200 and works great with my Wyred 4 Sound dac.
There is a little info on the net.
Thanks, I'm aware of the Audio-Gd DI, but have gotten the impression from forums/reviews that it is not in the same league as the AP2 or JKSPDIF. It does seem pretty neat, though. USB and SPDIF inputs, so you can use it with a Squeezebox Touch, as well as a computer.
If a new Off-Ramp is out of your budget, get a used one. I had an Off-Ramp 4 for a long time and loved it, compared directly to the Audiophilleo it was the better unit.