To DAC or not to DAC

I have somewhat of a dilemma. I got an Amazon gift card for Christmas and had forgotten about it. I just ran across it and have to spend some money. I kind of got all up into doing the digital thing, starting off with a Sonos unit, but I think that I want to run down the road of some quality CD music.

I'm currently running an XDA-1 DAC. Right or wrong, I kind of view it as being a budget solution, but it's doing fine as the converter for my Sonos and Apple TV. My dilemma is whether I should get something along the lines of a decent CD player in the form of a Cambridge Audio 550C and either run that through my XDA-1 or get a better DAC. The second choice would be to get something like the 650C which has dual DACs and just run that straight through the analog outs.

I guess what I'm asking is, will I get better results with the 550C and an external dac or with getting the 650C using its internal DACs.

My next question is whether something like a DacMagic would be an upgrade from the XDA-1, if I go the route of the 550C and external dac. For that matter, would the internal dac of the 550C be better than either the XDA-1 or the DacMagic?

I'm just lost.

Thanks.
tonyangel
Musical Fidelity V-DAC is what you are looking for. Better than the ones you mention and dirt cheap on top of it.
I haven't heard the XDA-1 but have heard very good things about it. My bet is that the options you're considering might sound different rather than better (and maybe not that different). I'd go for a cheaper transport (Cambridge Audio 350C or Marantz CD5004) with the XDA-1.
All of the options are just mind numbing. I do appreciate the responses.

Since my primary source these days has been my Sonos, I guess I'm gonna try to get that sounding better first. Then I'll get a good transport or CD player.

Stan, I'm glad that you had the positive comment about the V-Dac. I ordered a V-DAC II last night. It'll be here tomorrow. I had given some thought to the DacMagic, but something just made me pull the trigger on the V-DAC. Looking at the specs, the DacMagic should be the better unit, with twin dacs and all, but the V-DAC is going to be easier to integrate into my system.

In any case, I can get a DacMagic locally. I might go by my local shop and see if I can audition one and do an A/B comparison.

Of course, if they both sound better than the XDA-1, I might just sell it and keep the V-DAC and DacMagic.

Thanks again.
Just my experience, but I love my V-dac with my AppleTV. I sent a DacMagic back. V-dac is much warmer and is so smooth. Now running it with a Pyramid power supply and it has a higher level of solidity and balls.
Man, I debated on whether or not to get the Pyramid power supply. I didn't get it, because I read that it didn't make a difference and chose to stick with the convenience of the wall wart.

It looks like I have to order something else.

Your experience with the V-Dac is very similar to what I've read elsewhere and was the major reason that I went with the V-Dac instead of the Cambridge to start with, although I'm still going to go and see if I can audition the Cambridge today.

As it stands now, I hooked the V-Dac II up to my system this morning. I don't know if it needs any burning in, but so far I'm seeing more highs without it being bright or shrill, but the bass seems to be less prominent than it is with my XDA-1. I had to turn my sub up a couple of notches to compensate. Still, I do believe that it has an overall better sound than the XDA-1 does. No final verdict yet though. I still need to do some more listening.