Music Servers & Sonos. XiVA Music M8, W4S ?

OK
Getting a Sonos.
Majority of my music is on my Apple MacBook & IPhone.
I do not want to use my Laptop as my music server.
I do not just want to use an IPhone dock or anything like that.

I am looking for something that will be easy and idiot proof!
Something where I can add CD's easily and will easily sync with my iTunes.
Something which will work well with Sonos and its interface.

I will also use a DAC and hook up whatever I get to my stereo.

So far I have been most intrigued with the Wyred for Sound Music Server (coming out) and also the Xiva MusicM8.

Does anyone have any suggestions of other systems I look at?

Thanks!
watchtimes
Now we're cooking! That's as I explained pretty much what I do.. Sonos for the whole house PWD/Bridge for the big system... Best of all worlds, of course if Sonos would just do Hi-Res it would make things much simpler..

And sincerely not to be rude or condescending if you'd explained it that way in your original post we'd have saved many electrons :-)

I really like the W4S server it looks nice, the W4S guys build great stuff at great prices and are very accessible. Of course I'd like it even better if they made a version that excludes the Hard Drive and the CD Rom.. I much prefer to be able to use the ripping software of my choice, and I don't like being limited to the size and type of HD they use in the unit. I also wonder how you edit metadata on the W4S system, trust me you Will have to edit metadata. I'd also check with the W4S folks as to how you'll be able to sync the files that the W4S server creates with iTunes. I didn't see ALAC files listed as an option and iTunes doesn't support Flac natively, you could use Aiff files, but Sonos doesn't work as well with Aiff as it does the others. Since the W4S server uses basically an internal NAS I wonder if you can create a Share and point iTunes and Sonos at it??? .

I still think that if the W4S unit could pull your music files off a NAS that it would be a simpler setup ( I need to call them and ask) then you'd have easier access to all your music on both the Sonos system and the W4S system, in addition to being able to pick the size and type of drives. Thats' how I have my PWD/Bridge and Sonos setup.. I rip from my Mac straight to the NAS and both units can access the files, with no computer needing to be on. I have my music backed up on the NAS as a Raid 1 mirror and I use a second USB drive as redundant backup.. always remember back up ,back up ,back up

As for a Mac Mini your right, if your trying to keep it clean and simple. I also think the W4S is a way nicer unit and will in all likely hood crush that Xiva unit sonically.The other unit to consider is the Bryston file player it sounds great and is stone cold reliable, although it doesn't have the flexibility of the W4S as regards internet radio and other music services.. I love Pandora ..

Just keep in mind with the Sonos the first unit needs to be hardwired to the router.. not a big deal it can be wireless from there out.. also if you can hardwire the Sonos Connect to the router ( if you have or can run a Cat wire to the main system) then you don't need a Bridge, that unit would be the first link of the system, I use a Connect as my first unit.

Anyway good luck, I've been doing the computer audio thing for a few years now (and audio in general as a hobby, passion and vocation for 30 plus years) and I'm always interested and excited about new , and better ways ( and other peoples) ideas and solutions and setups.. one can never know it all, and it's fun to learn.. one of the things that makes this passion so much fun!

And please feel free to email me if you ever have need of another "take" or have any other questions you may feel I could help out with.
Thank you!
Sorry for the confusion, I am fairly
new to the audio world and thought it
was clear what I was trying to say.

I may end up going the NAS route still but
just being very uncomputer savy I am trying
to find the easiest way to do it.

I will be able to run a hardwire from my router to the
Sonos, my main system is downstairs and the drop ceiling
is great for that!
Oh yes...
You mentioned the Bryston and not being able to play
some various forms of internet radio, is that really
an issue as I am really just using the unit as a host
wont the Sonos take care of all of that?
Since you can run a ethernet cable (Use Cat6a) from the router to where the Zone Player will be that's perfect.. you won't need a Bridge, that unit will be your first hardwired link, also since the Sonos unit has two ethernet ports the W4S unit can be slaved off the Sonos so it also has internet connectively and is on the network. As for the Bryston, yes the Sonos will give you all internet radio and music services your heart desires, and more! So you could also go the Bryston route, although the Bryston isn't designed as much for network connectively, it uses local USB drives for storage, not a networked, or internal solution.

As for setting up a NAS, it is chimp simple.. really the NAS just attaches to your router.. virtually no setup.. the Netgear are particular easy to setup , well made and work perfectly with Sonos and other devices. http://www.netgear.com/home/products/storage/advanced-prosumer/RNDU2120.aspx

What I wonder is how to get the music you rip to the W4S server (if that's how you go) off the unit? it appears that the W4S unit has ethernet connectively , so one should be able to copy those files off the unit, if for no other reason than to backup the files.

I'm thinking in terms off access to your music on both systems.. if you rip your music ( I'm assuming you haven't ripped your CD's yet at all?)
to the W4S how does one get them off?? I ask that because you're going to absolutely want any CD's that you rip, also available to play through the Sonos. The best and easiest way to do that with Sonos is with a NAS.. that way no computer needs to be on.

If you can't get the music off the W4S, then I'm wondering if you can load files directly into the unit, and can it be done over your network? If that's the case you could rip your CD's on your PC/Mac to the NAS and then copy them over to the W4S unit.. I'm just thinking about how to reduce as many steps as necessary.. From a simplicity stand point if the W4S lets you (it really should) copy the files off it's HD then you could rip your music with it then simply move a copy to the NAS for the Sonos to be able to access.

Well once you decide what unit (not the Sonos) you're going to use you'll be able to figure out the best way to store/rip your CD's...
I know you are not primarily looking for a NAS solution. I did read the above posts. I considered a Cambridge NP-30 (which I *think* functions much the same as the servers you are looking at?) for a while, but then changed my tune. I went with a Buffalo Linkstation NAS hooked via ethernet (via router) to my Sonos. I find that the Sonos interface is just fine (use iPhone and iPad as a controller) and when I want to add a CD or whatever, I just use JRiver on my laptop. But for the most part I dont ever have to have a computer on in the house.
I think I considered a similar solution to the components that have been mentioned above, however, I decided that I had the most control with the NAS. (same reason I got away from iTunes)