Music Servers & Sonos. XiVA Music M8, W4S ?

OK
Getting a Sonos.
Majority of my music is on my Apple MacBook & IPhone.
I do not want to use my Laptop as my music server.
I do not just want to use an IPhone dock or anything like that.

I am looking for something that will be easy and idiot proof!
Something where I can add CD's easily and will easily sync with my iTunes.
Something which will work well with Sonos and its interface.

I will also use a DAC and hook up whatever I get to my stereo.

So far I have been most intrigued with the Wyred for Sound Music Server (coming out) and also the Xiva MusicM8.

Does anyone have any suggestions of other systems I look at?

Thanks!
watchtimes
So you're going to use both? Side by side? Because Sonos will not interface with the W4S unit, or any of the others, it is a closed stand alone system, just as the Meridian Sooloos is a stand alone system.

The Sonos is also, as I'm sure you are aware a multi room, multi source system the W4S and the Xiva aren't, in fact it appears the Xiva is a NAS with server/ rendering software built in and needs a Dac) and the W4S which looks really nice (even though not available yet ) also needs an out board Dac, since it doesn't have one built in. The other thing with the W4S is that it's storage is built in 1tb, uses a single drive and can't be setup as as a RAID for back up.. it does look as though it has USB ports for expansion but their sketchy info doesn't elaborate much on it's features. (BTW I have a W4S Dac1 in a system and it sounds great)

You didn't mention cost but the W4S Server with one of their Dac's , i.e. Dac 1 will run about $3000.00

The only peripheral products (besides a router) Sonos will interface with are a NAS (for storage), outboard Dac (to improve sound quality) and of course a Mac/PC. So when you asked your original question it sure seemed to me as if you are confused as to how Sonos works, because it won't interface with anything else and certainly not with the products you mention.
I'd like to correct myself a little. One can input an analog signal into a Sonos Zone player that can be distributed amongst the other zones, so it's not an entirely closed system in that regard. But doing that one also looses a lot of the elegance of the Sonos system. Also in those other zones one would be limited to either playing internet radio and other music services, or what ever is feeding the analog input say the output of the Dac that's being used with the say the W4S music server.. It's not a very user friendly approach and certainly diminishes the beauty, and simplicity of what Sonos is all about.

So again maybe I'm confused since you didn't specify if the goal of this system for you is just a single room system, or the ability to do multiple rooms? If the plan is just for a single room than there's really no point in having a Sonos system since the W4S unit really just duplicates the same functions, abet less elegantly than the Sonos.

Maybe explaining my system will add clarity. I use a PS Audio PWD/Bridge ( similar in concept to the W4S unit, although I use a NAS for storage) in my main system so I can listen to high res downloads and because the PSA system just sounds amazing. I also have running side by side in that room a Sonos Zone Player, along with four other zones in the house. I keep a Zone Player hooked up to the PWD in the main system so I can play the same music synchronized throughout the house for parties.

In any case good luck I'm sure you'll get it all figured out and configured the way you want.
Erik

I will be running a DAC, Music Server, and a Sonos Connect to my Stereo.

I will have a Sonos Bridge in my wireless network.

I will have 2 Play 5's in various rooms in my house.

I was told by a Sonos dealer whose a member here that this will work just fine.

I considered a Mach2Music as well but I think the Xiva and W4S look like a easier option.
Now we're cooking! That's as I explained pretty much what I do.. Sonos for the whole house PWD/Bridge for the big system... Best of all worlds, of course if Sonos would just do Hi-Res it would make things much simpler..

And sincerely not to be rude or condescending if you'd explained it that way in your original post we'd have saved many electrons :-)

I really like the W4S server it looks nice, the W4S guys build great stuff at great prices and are very accessible. Of course I'd like it even better if they made a version that excludes the Hard Drive and the CD Rom.. I much prefer to be able to use the ripping software of my choice, and I don't like being limited to the size and type of HD they use in the unit. I also wonder how you edit metadata on the W4S system, trust me you Will have to edit metadata. I'd also check with the W4S folks as to how you'll be able to sync the files that the W4S server creates with iTunes. I didn't see ALAC files listed as an option and iTunes doesn't support Flac natively, you could use Aiff files, but Sonos doesn't work as well with Aiff as it does the others. Since the W4S server uses basically an internal NAS I wonder if you can create a Share and point iTunes and Sonos at it??? .

I still think that if the W4S unit could pull your music files off a NAS that it would be a simpler setup ( I need to call them and ask) then you'd have easier access to all your music on both the Sonos system and the W4S system, in addition to being able to pick the size and type of drives. Thats' how I have my PWD/Bridge and Sonos setup.. I rip from my Mac straight to the NAS and both units can access the files, with no computer needing to be on. I have my music backed up on the NAS as a Raid 1 mirror and I use a second USB drive as redundant backup.. always remember back up ,back up ,back up

As for a Mac Mini your right, if your trying to keep it clean and simple. I also think the W4S is a way nicer unit and will in all likely hood crush that Xiva unit sonically.The other unit to consider is the Bryston file player it sounds great and is stone cold reliable, although it doesn't have the flexibility of the W4S as regards internet radio and other music services.. I love Pandora ..

Just keep in mind with the Sonos the first unit needs to be hardwired to the router.. not a big deal it can be wireless from there out.. also if you can hardwire the Sonos Connect to the router ( if you have or can run a Cat wire to the main system) then you don't need a Bridge, that unit would be the first link of the system, I use a Connect as my first unit.

Anyway good luck, I've been doing the computer audio thing for a few years now (and audio in general as a hobby, passion and vocation for 30 plus years) and I'm always interested and excited about new , and better ways ( and other peoples) ideas and solutions and setups.. one can never know it all, and it's fun to learn.. one of the things that makes this passion so much fun!

And please feel free to email me if you ever have need of another "take" or have any other questions you may feel I could help out with.
Thank you!
Sorry for the confusion, I am fairly
new to the audio world and thought it
was clear what I was trying to say.

I may end up going the NAS route still but
just being very uncomputer savy I am trying
to find the easiest way to do it.

I will be able to run a hardwire from my router to the
Sonos, my main system is downstairs and the drop ceiling
is great for that!