Audiogon "RECORDINGS TO DIE FOR" list

I've been listening to some of my favorite recordings this weekend and was wondering what others on Audiogon felt were there favorites. We have all seen the Stereophile "Records to Die For", The Absolute Sounds recommended list, Music Directs' list, The Golden Ear, etc. now I'm hoping to assemble the Audiogon "Recordings To Die For". Please list your five favorite recordings, the ones you listen to over and over or play for friends. I would assume the sonic quality is excellent in that this is an audiophile site. The performance and enjoy ability should also be excellent. Please leave your top five, even if they are already chosen so we can discover the very top for the Audiogon listeners. ALSO PLEASE REFRAIN FROM CRITICIZING OTHERS OPINIONS AND JUST LEAVE YOUR FAVORITES!

August 2002: I have compiled a summary and a full printer-friendly list of all of the recommendations below.
click here to view summary
128x128jadem6
Hey Rogar:
Get ready for the new "WIsh you where Here" immersion discs due soon.
Brad
Hi Transaudio,
When I look for great recordings, I see who mastered the recording. If it says Doug Sax, Barry Diament, Steve Hoffman, Kevin Gray or Ricker,to name a few, you usually get a quality playback.Others mastering engineers can be hit and miss. Some can make a great recording unlistenable by adding eq to the bottom or top end and also by adding volume to the recording altering and compressing the possible dynamic range that the recording once had.
It's in the mastering IMO

Regards,
Montejay, how right you are. Most great mastering engineers know what mixes NOT to take and most great mixers encourage their clients to hire the best mastering engineers.

It all supports the point: look for the people BEHIND the music and follow them for great sound. They may not always be your favorite artists, but great engineers in mastering and mixing rarely turn out bad sounding records.

Brad
Hi Brad,
I am amazed how often I can hear a cd I'm very familiar with, sounding so much better then the one I already own. Closer inspection usually reveals a familiar name mastered it.
Behind almost any of the 'Records to Die for' list is at least one of these talented individuals.

Regards,
If any of you are coming to RMAF in a few weeks, you'll get to experience A Recording to Die For, at least from the professional music side. The show will be the premier demo of Wish You Were Here in 5.1, from the new Immersion Disc set. ATC is bringing a massive system too, like the one that James Guthrie used to mix all the new Pink Floyd Immersion discs as well as Dark SIde in 5.1 a few years ago. The room will also be treated, so it sounds like a recording studio. So it will truly be a once in a lifetime experience of a great recording.