An interesting Digital vs. Analog experience

On Friday I visited my local hi fi store where Garth Leer of Musical Surroundings was showing off the new Clear Audio Master Innovation turntable and Jim White of Aesthetix was on hand with a lot of his gear. The speakers were Focal Stella with dual JL Audio Gothom subs. Obviously, the point of the event was the turntable, but I'll have to admit that when the music was temporarily switched from the turntable to a labtop both my friend and I thought the digital sounded better.

I've heard A/B comparisons in the store before using identical recordings and in that case preferred the vinyl, but this time with the recordings being different I would have left with a very different impression.

I mentioned it to Jim White (I didn't discuss it with Garth Leer since because I didn't want to rain on his parade) and his comment was that the system was tailored for analog so I'd probably really enjoy a system that was intended for digital. I think the computer was using an Aesthetix CD player for the DAC.

It was the first time in a long time that I was blown away with the sound of a system in that room, it made my system sound very humble (as it is in comparison) in a way that I had not heard before. It was the first time that I've heard Aesthetix amplification making the Focal Utopia's shine.

I guess what I'm saying is that both vinyl and digital can be amazing, but the difference in convienience is astounding.

I could see myself owning a pair of Stella speakers, but I don't think I have enough organs to sell to pay the bill. I doubt my wife would be willing to chip in...
mceljo
Tubegroover - I've had the opportunity to listen to several of the models in the Focal Utopia line. The store has always had the Diablo and Scala models on the floor and has always had either the Grande EM or more recently the Stella EM. I've heard the Diablos and Grande EM with both Krell and Aesthetix amplification. I've only heard the Stella with Aesthetix amplification. I've never heard the Scala's connected in the main system so I can't really say that I've heard them in a comparable way.

With the Krell amplification I really enjoyed the Diablo's paired with a JL Audio subwoofer the most. When the switch from Krell to Aesthetix was made I can't say that I've ever been as impressed with either the Diablo's or Grande EM's, but based on my most recently experience with the Stella's and Aesthetix there much be something else making the difference because it was once again an amazing sound.

I've actually heard several of the Chorus Series speakers connected to the main system when it was Krell based. The list is 706v, 816v and 836v (my speakers). I've also heard the 706v, 806v and 807v connected to the Aesthetix based main system. It's amazing at how good those models can really sound when given every opportunity to succeed.

By the way, I don't think the name JM Labs applies to any of the new speakers, it's simply Focal these days.
Rockitman - I don't know for sure, but that's what Jim White commented. I take it to mean that because analog and digital have very different sounds a system tuned using an analog source would likely be different than one using a digital source. Once the system is built/tuned you can hook up either source and have a great sound. I'm all digital on a completely different, and much lower, scale so I just took his comment at face value.
Phaelon, while what you say is true; the price performance ratio is absurd, especially when analog can cost as much as a Greyhound bus. But what gripes me more than anything is when someone claims a Dual TT is as good as good digital.
By the way, I don't think the name JM Labs applies to any of the new speakers, it's simply Focal these days.
you might already know this but your comment seemed to indicate otherwise hence a bit of history, if I may be permitted - back in the old days (which are not so old) Jacques Mahul (hence the JM) used to have to 2 separate outfits - one called JM Lab (singular) manuf speakers & one called Focal manuf drivers that went mostly into JM Lab speakers.At that time he also used to sell to other manuf & to a DIY market.
At one point he stopped selling his drivers on the open market & decided to internally use all his driver production & got rid of the JM Lab brand name. He consolidated the driver manuf & speaker manuf into one brand name called Focal.

Back in the JM Lab speaker days (which are early 2000 era days) there used to be the JM Lab Electra series - 846, 836 & 826 (smallest) which I heard. Very unimpressive sound. Many of us who heard these speakers unanimously agreed that the company should stick to driver manuf only & that it had gotten quite good at wood finishing but speaker design was not their forte. The last time I heard a Focal speaker was 4 yrs ago (I did like the sound of that one model which used Berrylium tweeters) but I do not know what they sound like today.....