Apple Mac Mini as a music server

Looking to see if anyone has used a mac mini as a music server? If so please respond on how and what your set is. Also are you using a external DAC and how you have the mini hooked into your system.

Thanks
Mikel
artez
I feed the DAC1 directly with 24/96 output from the mac mini. This 24/96 output means that my hi-resolution 24/96 files are not downsampled. It also makes no difference to the majority of my lossless collection burned from CD - these are simply upsampled. The DAC1 is asynchronous anyway. The trick is to avoid downsampling which is a lossy process.
Search the archives as this question is asked two or three times a month.
I use a Mac Mini with cds ripped in AIFF to itunes and stored on an external hard drive. The toslink out from the mini feeds a Monarchy Audio DIP which in turn feeds a PS Audio DLIII dac.
FWIW, I think the PS Audio dac is the dac to get at around $500. Also, the sound is noticeably improved with the DIP. Good luck.
@Artez You asked,

>>Can anyone recomend a good DAC that wont break the bank.<<

I recommend that you take a careful listen to the Ultra Fi DAC-41. I and others have made contributions to a thread on Audiogon in regard to this new and what I think is a quite remarkable DAC regardless of its pricepoint (and this one won't break the bank).

I think it's important to ask yourself what is important to you in music reproduction and make your source component selection based upon how satisfied you are with how your preferences are realized. A quality server, such as 2010 or 2011 MacMini, HQ USB cabling, etc. help a lot.

I think that there's a good chance that the Ultra Fi DAC-41 will meet your cravings.

:) listening,

Ed
Now to throw a curve ball into this thread. While going through my things I came across a Red Wine audio Imod that i picked up at some point is this essentially the same concept as a music server?