Parasound C/BD 2000 Belt Drive CD Transport

Good evening all,

I am using the above CD transport and am very happy with it. My question is, what determines if I can play more than just Red Book CD's? Is it the transport of the DAC? Would I need to add anything to the transport plus an appropriate DAC to play some of the esoteric CD's? Thanks for your response.
rbwinterlink
Don't know what esoteric CD's are... but, you have a really nice "red book" CD transport from the 90's. You can only play back red book CD's with your C/BD 2000, including HDCD's... So, if you have some HDCD's in you collection, make sure your DAC can decode them if you want to hear HDCD's potential.
Good afternoon,

I want to thank you for the comments. Actually, I thought changing the DAC would permit playing of most CD's to include HDCD's. Presently I am using a Lite 72 Tubed DAC/24bits which does not even recognize HDCD's. I get a good sound from my Redbook CD's but wanted to hear some of the other formats. Thanks again for your comments.
Most of the DAC's I have been researching take high-resolution formats in the form of 24bit/96kHz over USB, using a computer as a transport. In all my research over the past few months, I have not seen a single outboard DAC that will decode SACD or DVD-A. I haven't seen anything about HDCD decoding in an outboard DAC either. You need a different optical disc player for these formats (except HDCD which your Parasound will do).
I looked at your Lite DAC's limited listing of specs on the pacific Valve site, I don't think it can decode high-resolution audio signals, it has a display that shows the sampling frequency, but it doesn't say which frequencies it will accept...I would assume more than 44.1kHz Redbook...?
There are a lot of affordable options for outboard DACs that decode hi-res audio, if you want to get into computer-based transport systems. There are also affordable SACD players out there. Check out SACD.net for a listing of current titles.
Realremo,

Thank you for taking the time to research this information. It has given me what I need to move forward. I really love the sound of my Parasound belt drive but understand I will need to purchase a more moderen transport and DAC if I want to play something other than Redbood CD's.

I want to thank all who contributed comments and thoughts. They are all very much appreciated.

bob