Is it possible to transform the EMM CDSA SE?

2-box and 1-box versions of EMM's CD players -- not the X upgrade or the XDS1 -- have been variously described as "flat" and "2-dimensional" in forum postings. Is it possible to defy these characterizations and elevate the EMM to the world of amazing 3D sound? Let's share our knowledge and experience -- to make EMM a better sonic world.
sabai
Sabai,

I have an Oyaide non filtered iec replacing the filtered iec on the EMM. That did improve dynamics slightly. And of course power conditioning & cords help. But the generation after EMM products did not sound to my liking. Then this latest generation is reputed to be much better (from what I have heard in unfamiliar systems) and probably is. On a different note: the new EMMs use a discrete output stage which is an improvement we can not obtain via mods etc. The signature of the EMM is as much due to its output stage as to the D/A stage. If I remember correctly they are using op amps inside which from my experience usually have a little less than absolute resolution compared to op amps. Usually with an upside of extreme musicality. At this level the EMM changes is like changing phono cartridges. Different flavors.

The Prism Orpheus is a professional studio DAC which is excellent but a step down in the bass from the EMM.

The latest EMM has digital inputs which make it much more appealing but at the price you can have the CDSAse and a stand alone DAC so I went that way.
Dgad,

"But the generation after EMM products did not sound to my liking."

Do you mean the X upgrade and the XDS1 were not to your liking? If so, what did you not like? I have not heard them.

"On a different note: the new EMMs use a discrete output stage which is an improvement we can not obtain via mods etc."

What does this do to the sonics?
Sabai, are you suggesting that you found a different way of making a CDSA like the XDS1, different than the approach EMM Labs took? If you have managed to do that, I would say that is quite can accomplishment.

What are the various tweaks you have discovered and what problem do you believe they are address?
Pubul57, I have never heard the XDS1 so I cannot make a direct comparison. What I can do is describe my experience with the EMM CDSA SE. It had relatively flat sound out of the box but it now has an incredibly detailed 3D sound stage -- beyond the width of the speakers and with a lot of layered depth and very fine resolution of both instruments and vocals for all types of music. Tone is beautiful and all harshness is gone from the upper frequencies. I have a lot of accessories and tweaks in my system, with more to come. If you'd care to PM me I will be glad to go into greater detail. For some reason, my postings on the thread are limited to 750 characters.
Sabai,

I highly recommend you NOT to listen to the XDS1 if you want to keep your CDSA-SE because it will make the CDSA-SE sound only 2D, flat and lifeless in comparison even though the CDSA-SE is a great player IMO. The XDS1 is a totally different animal remaining in their signature sound but clearly night and day better in all areas. I sold mine straight away and moved on.