What is the best compressed iTunes format?

First, let me state that I fully understand that an uncompressed format is far superior to a compressed on such as MP3. My current iPod is a 4GB unit, but I just had the battery replaced on my wife's old 30GB unit and plan to transfer my music that direction.

I generally use it for listening at work on Sennheiser earbud headphones that retailed for about $80 new so we're not talking HiFi. My only iPod connection currently, or planned, to my main stereo is via an Onkyo dock so I'm not getting the benefit of an external DAC so again we're not talking HiFi.

Knowing that I have somewhat limited space, what would you recommend for me to choose as the format for iTunes. I've never done anything beyond one of the lower compression MP3 options, is there something better?

Please provide a suggestion and why.

Thanks
mceljo
Right, three things.

First and foremost: yes, once you rip things lossless, you never have to touch the CDs again. Far as I'm concerned, that's the whole point.

Second, on my version of itunes, when you plug an ipod in, and you then select it from the menu on the left, you get the screen with various tab-like choices on the top to manage what's on the thing ("Summary, Apps, Movies, TV.".. etc.) On the "Summary" tab, there are three areas ("ipod" "version" "options") and the third "option" is "convert higher bit rate songs to 128 kbps AAC." If you select that, it's precisely what it'll do for you when you sync. No fuss, no muss, and a full ipod.

Third, our genuine Remo is of course correct, if you want full auto, 128 kbps AAC is your only option. Typical Apple: you want it easy, it's our way or not at all. But, you can also get itunes to manually make you a copy of any track you want in any other format that itunes supports (AAC, mp3, AIFF, Apple Lossless, WAV -- basically anything but FLAC). How to do this, however, aint obvious.

The itunes "help" file explains it thusly:

To convert a song’s file format:
Choose iTunes > Preferences, click General, and click Import Settings.

In the Import Using pop-up menu, choose the format you want to convert songs to, and click OK to save the settings.

Select one or more songs in your library and choose Advanced > Create [Format] Version.

In the off chance that this made no sense at all, it kinda goes like this. Both in your "Advanced" pull-down menu and in the right click menue for any given track, you will be presented with the option to "Create [blank] Version", where [blank] is the default import setting. In other words, if your default setting is to import AIFF, and you have just ripped your entire library AIFF, this option will very helpfully (and apparently without a touch or irony) give you the opportunity to make another AIFF copy. Lovely.

BUT, and I suspect you may see where this is going, if you change your import preferences (say to whatever bit rate mp3 floats your boat), then this same right click / "advanced" option will then the present you with the ability to make a copy in whatever your new default is. You can then select your entire library (or as many or few tracks as you like) and make a copy of all of it in whatever format you want (just remember to switch your default back before ripping any more CDs, or that's what you'll get from them as well).

To sum up, the Apple way is either their way or the hard way -- but you can usually get the job done.... Personally, I like the easy way (think it's spelled l.a.z.y.), but also because I am fanatical about best possible quality on the full rig, but neither care about nor appreciate any difference once it goes on the ipod. But, if your ears and/or the gear you run the ipad through appreciate the benefit of higher bit rate lossy-ness (and I won't pretend that's a particularly difficult task) then you're stuck doing it the hard way and juggling multiple copies of each track in different formats. Enjoy, and as long as you do, you're of course doing it just right.
It appears that the option to down convert isn't on my version of iTunes that was downloaded just a few days ago.
I managed to still have iTunes version 7 so now it's updated and I have identified the button. Thanks!
The iPod spent the night updating. Just under 26 GB to just over 4 GB. I'll check the sound quality and see how it compares and play around with creating parallel mp3 files as well.
Mezmo, great tip about converting formats, I didn't know iTunes did that. I am just about to purchase an Apple TV so I can stream Netflix, and this will probably lead to upgrading my entire library to AIFF so I can push it into my Denon 3310's Burr-Brown DACs. I doubt I will create double copies tho...I'll probably just run AIFF on my iPod and have fewer songs, at least at first... :-) All this ripping and re-ripping and converting is freakin' time consuming!