SPDIF converter for Audio Note Dac 2.1

I have an Audio Note Dac with old digital connection that I want to connect to my Macbook Pro. I have been doing this with a M2Tech Hiface but 1) the sound isn't great - positively am radio like and 2) itunes through Pure Music and a much inferior dacmagic sounds better. Is there a spdif to usb converter that is going to rival my pure music sound or even better let me use pure music into my audio note dac? This computer audio stuff can be complicated for us old guys!
ladavid
Don't know your price range, but the Empirical Audio Off Ramp is an excellent USB to S/PDIF converter.

Bryon
My first thought is that if your DAC Magic is bettering the Hiface/Audionote combo you might have a problem somewhere.
The DAC magic is not known to have great USB interface (I am assuming here). I'd look into it. The Hiface/Audionote ought to trounce the DACMagic.

Empirical Audio, Wavelength USB>SPDIF, Audiophileo, Weiss Int 202 are all good SPDIF converters.
I was thinking the difference maker was pure music into dacmagic vs. itunes into hiface to Audio Note dac. Pure music is a game changer even straight into headphones for me.
Post removed 
Ladavid:

Yes, Pure Music smokes straight iTunes, why aren't you using it into the hiFace? It does work with it FWIW. Tvad is onto something, but is incorrect. PM like to choose the device itself. Your output in settings should be "built in", and then set the audio out via PM to the hiFace AFTER- I repeat AFTER you have set the hiFace to use HOG mode. It seems counter intuitive, but that is how it is done. If a device is already selected, HOG mode is not allowed.

Hit reset and you should be good to go. One really should read the entire manual. Unlike many programs, there is hidden stuff in the manual that you will not discover readily w/o it.

I do not care for upsampling, but like "Less is More" and memory play if you have enough RAM.