Would adding a Dac improve the sound for my setup?

My system consists of Cary sli80 and audio aero prima mkII cd player. It is older model with the cd tray on the left. I'm looking for a Dac in $1000 range, like Burson Audio, MDHT Havana, TDAC or Rega Dac. My question is by adding one of this Dac does it improve the sound or simply moving sideway?
rbc
Adding the right DAC can improve all the sonic signatures you're looking for. But, like everything else, it is system dependent.
Burson dac is the one I would highly recommend.
There is a 30 day trial for the Burson. I don't think you'll be sending it back though.
The Wyred 4 Sound DAC-1 would be worth considering and is in your price range. I believe it would be a step up for you.
Ask yourself this question. Do you find that the music (sound stage) becomes compressed as the size of the music increases (more instruments) and does the sound stage become congested as you turn up the volume with larger scale recordings? However, when you play small scale recordings, trios, female vocals without much instrumental support behind them, the sound stage is good, well defined, etc. . .

This is your CD player. I cannot tell you if it is the DAC portion of this player or what aspect. But the AA Primo CDP has this fault. I bought one when my AA Capitole needed to be repaired and figured the Primo would give me similar, but not as good perfomance. It was fine with small scale music, but fell apart with larger scale music.

While I hate to say this to you, my recommendation would be to dump the Primo and get either a better CDP or even one that may have digital inputs. You can try a DAC, but I don't know if it will fix the problem with the AA unit or not.
What Ckoffend is discribing sounds like the OP amps in the CD player.
If you get a DAC, that will by pass the OP amps in the CD player.
Thanks everyone for the comment.
Ckoffend, it is exactly what you described. Large scale or complicated music would diminish soundstage while small scale is great.