Anyone using a USB DSD DAC?

Is anyone using a USB DSD DAC?
I only know of 3 ways for someone who might want to playback DSD files from there PC.
- Mytek Stereo192-DSD-DAC with USB
- "USB-Dual-Audio" PCB from ElectArt
- USBPAL PCB from RigiSystems

The New Mytek Stereo192-DSD-DAC is capable of playback of DSD 64fs 2.82Mhz files over USB, I believe with a ASIO 2.1 driver, possibly being the first device to support this new standard. 1/2 Rack Mount, XLR I/O, SPDIF and USB. Price is $1500USD. This is the first real device available to play DSD files from your home computer for under $10k.

The "USB-Dual Audio" is an assembled PCB from ElectrArt, a small japanese hobbyist company. It consists of a assembled and tested PCB with an FPGA programmed to record and playback PCM and DSD (64fs/2.82mhz or 128fs/5.6mhz) over USB, USB; SPDIF; and DSD bitstream and wordclock i/o connections, and a proprietary driver and software for recording and playback. Price is $384USD Shipped for an assembled and tested "USB-Dual Audio" PCB and unassembled DSD-1794a DAC PCB, recording meter PCB, and PCM4202 ADC PCB. If you dont want to solder pcb's, you can find other options for the ADC and DAC.

The USBPAL from RigiSystems, a swiss company, is also just a pcb. Yet it appears more refined, and is designed to be used in commercial DAC's, while the "USB-Dual Audio" is geared to the hobbyist. It has a driver to send DSD and PCM over usb. I don't know what software is used for playback. Price is around $400USD for a development kit, no DAC included, gotta find/make your own.

Is anyone playing DSD, either recorded with a device like the Korg or Tascam recorders, or files purchased from a 'Audiophile' recording company selling either DSD-Discs or DSD Downloads?

I sense a coming wave of DSD products possibly. Korg is apparently working on a DSD DAW and 8 channel DSD ADC and DAC. The Rigisystems PCB can be licensed and allows any developer to incorperate DSD into there device. The ElectArt board lets the hobbyiest develop there own DAC and ADC. There was an article showing a working USB-DAC prototype shown at a convention in japan from the DSD consortium.

Maybe the time of playing (and recording) DSD as easily as PCM with our computers is coming. I know software needs development, and there are certain limitation inherent in the format (simple manipulation can be difficult or mathematically problematic). Still I know some have a real desire for very high quality digital audio.
alexcount
Well, the source/quality of a lot of DSD material is heavily debated, whether up-sampled from 16/44.1 at the worst, or simply made without proper considerations. I really can't say (personally) one way or the other is superior, as I haven't tested them side by side using real high end converters with all other variables controlled, and there are MANY variables. Honestly I think fair comparison is hard to come by. I am always open to try out new gear...
Also for those who have invested in DSD materials, having the option of using high quality DAC's is a fair use right of the consumer, why buy the same record as vinyl, than tape, than cd, than sacd, than bluray, enough already, we should work to improve the formats we have, they ALL are capable of at least decent quality paired with a well built converter/analog stage
i wish audiophile DAC's could accomodate DSD, as i just saw the Korg MR2000s which will A>D in DSD...and my buddy has a gazillion records i could record with the Korg, then keep on my hard drive (as i've no room for vinyl).

shame there's no DSD input dacs out there, or is there?
I've been eval'ing the new M2tech Young DAC, which is capable of up to 32/384 via USB. I've been listening to DXD stuff from 2L's test bench download area (24/352) and it's very nice. The DAC is somehwat in its early stages and a little unstable with its firmware and drivers, but M2Tech is all over it.

I also heard the new Playback Designs MPS-3 DAC at CES (THE Show at Flamingo to be precise) and it was doing some 24/252 that was sublime. Jonathan purports that it will do 5.6Mhz via USB when released in the Spring
There are many DAC ic's that support DSD, but few production DAC's. Meitner comes to mind, expensive and rare, Playback systems is coming out with one (MPS-3) as mentioned in the post above, and maybe had something before, EMM labs has some, The new Mytek announced a year ago though still no word on availability or software for DSD. BTW most of these have a proprietary link for the given brands SACD transport... There are definitely some I forgot to mention, but none except for combined with a profesional workstaion (re $8k+) offer playback directly from a computer at the full 128fs rate the Korg mr-1/2000 offer.

As far as DIY options it takes some hacking, but there are many people using the Buffalo-II, ES9018 and DSD1794 based and other DAC's for DSD mostly fed out of modified SACD players.
The trick (for anyone making large collections) is getting DSD out of your computer. IF you can afford the Pyramid or Sonoma workstation hardware, you have quite a few options all pretty expensive. SonicStudio made a card with sdif-3(DSD) i/o and sony oxford dsp's which worked with g5 pcix mac's and had software, but is sadly no longer available or supported.

If you have $500-1000 you can work out a DSD DAC diy if you put some time in, otherwise expect to spend more. Also not recommended for anyone inexperienced in basic soldering/wiring techniques. The USB-Dual-Audio from ElectrArt in Japan or the USBPAL from Rigisystems in Switzerland are both options to get DSD in and out via USB provided you add a DAC and ADC supporting it and all associated power supplies.
Alexcount,

I like the idea of a DAC that accepts all formats. Do you know if either the Rigi or ElectrArt are galvanically isolated from the computer?

Thanks in advance,

Rob.