First toe dip into the digital stream

The kids gave me an iPod Touch on Father's Day and I have a 5 year old Mac G5 with a new hard drive waiting to be turned on.
I have been putting off the moment of my first CD rip because I do NOT want to do it twice and I know it will be a serious time suck.
I am also a Mac virgin.

I have a $500 budget and want to make sure that I have high quality rips that last a lifetime.

For my $500 I would like to be able to rip at high quality, wirelessly stream to my Linn AV5103 DAC and a Yamaha receiver (for 2 other less important listening areas) and control music selection with the iPod Touch.

Possible for a low tech like me?
Recommendations and directions to good threads would be great. Simple is truly better!
clarets2
Great advice. Many thanks.
What does anyone know of Max as a ripper for MAC?
I would like to rip at a high quality so that I only ever do it once.
Is there a noticeable difference between Apple Lossless and other higher levels of ripping a CD?
How does MAX or other programs help and what are their benefits?
Clarets2, I have used Max and know a few people who do as well. It's great for FLAC on a Mac. As for Apple Lossless vs. FLAC, WAV and AIFF? Well, that's a debated issue....

Here is my opinion (and it differs per person)....I feel like iTunes and Apple Lossless are just as good as FLAC (Lossless) and AIFF/WAV (uncompressed). I have tried other programs (Foobar, dBPowerAmp, EAC), and while they offer some very interesting and detailed features, I feel like lossless is lossless and uncompressed is uncompressed, and they both sound the same. Warning: this is not everyone's opinion and I'm sure they will have their own experience and reasons. I do not disagree with other ways of ripping and achieving music, but I prefer the Apple iTunes way.

With that said, I have listened to systems (Windows, Mac and Linux) that all were able to sound wonderful, and I have heard systems sound different depending on the hardware and software used, so I can completely understand why people have different preferences and tastes.

I recommend to people that they at least start with lossless (ALAC or FLAC). If external hard drive and device space is limited, then lossless allows more music to be stored while still being "bit perfect". For people who are OK with large file sizes, AIFF seems to be the best because it handles meta data tags (artist, album, song, etc.) better than WAV.

Some people feel uncompressed (AIFF and WAV) sound better than lossless formats (FLAC and ALAC), but I haven't been able to consistently confirm this in my own system designs. Lossless and uncompressed sound the same to me when listening with the same computer and playback systems. I have done blind tests with myself and others, and there has never been a consistent preference that showed one was better. Again, some people in these and other forums disagree, but I'm just telling you my experience, and I don't want to disrespect other opinions on this issue and I always keep an open mind.

Like always, you should listen for yourself and make your own conclusions. I have some friends that disagree with me, so I always think a person should do as much as possible to find out what works best for them.

To sum up, I feel like a Mac with OSX Snow Leopard and iTunes (setup correctly), using Apple Lossless (ALAC) is as good as any other solution out there for 16/44 content. I also feel like the newer Macs are the best sounding computers I have heard, even with Windows running on Apple's BootCamp. Windows PCs can also sound just as good, but they require some "tweaking". Both Windows and Mac (and Linux for that matter) can make excellent digital music transports.

I am currently diving into 64 Bit Mac OSX, followed by Windows 7 in 64 Bit. So far I can say that OSX in 64 Bit sounds better. I don't know why, which is why I have another recent post about it, but it does....consistently. I have also been able to confirm that SSD (solid state drives) and lots of RAM improve the sound of a Mac.

One final note....you might read and hear people talking about third party audio software like Amarra and Pure Music....and I have tried them....but I don't have an opinion about them yet. I recommend people get the basics right first, and then research those software options after. I personally do not use them currenty, but my mind is open....

Happy listening.... ;)
Hello,
I use the system you describe in your first post.
But, a few additions.
First, for paranoia reasons, I have a wired network. I use my Airport Express in wireless mode by first turning ON my Mac's Airport. I have NO wireless router, and the AE is used as a 'dead end'.

The ONE FLY in the ointment is that SOME equipment DOES NOT like the high jitter / clocking problems of the AE.
My CA840c, which has a wonderful DA section simply will not 'lock' to the AE for more than a few minutes at a time. The noise it makes for a couple seconds while it is out of sync is really Awful....

CA has sent me an update which I am chicken to install, needing to use my laptop and VIA Serial Port! not even USB!

So, I'd just add that you should TRY the DA convertor with the AE and do so for at least 15 minutes, to make sure there are no clocking problems. You don't want to go thru this.
Magfan brings up a good point. Some DACs have trouble locking onto the AE's signal. :(

In addition to listening for a longer period of time, also change tracks and turn the stream on/off to verify your DAC/processor can lock properly. The 5103 does a good job.
Thank you for all the advice. thought it was time for an update.
My G5 fried its new hard drive as some of the capacitors were faulty ...missed the recall back in '08....so that got recycled.
Back to my PC and now happily ripping with corrections and all else turned off as AIFF files.....simple.
Purchased a Squeezebox Duet and loving it.
Digital out to my 5103 is great though the Ikemi still beats it so will hang on to that for a little time to come.
Turntable still wipes the floor with both but that's another thread!

? I have is how to expand the number of rooms? Do I have to buy more receivers from Logitech or do I have another alternative?