Has anyone heard the new OPPO BDP-83SE

If the price/performance ratio of this $899 player (as listed on OPPO's web site) is comparable to their past offerings this should be the mother of all giant killers.
kdibello
Note that, according to their website, the upgrade will only benefit those who use analog output to their amps/receivers/processors. Users who use pure digital or HDMI hookup does not need to upgrade.
Albertporter

Albert, what about it's SD DVD action? SACD? DVDA?

Those are the added facets I'm seeking in my upcoming buy of the BDP 83... the SE versions added analog out performance enhancement for 2, 5.1, & 7.1 aren't hot buttons for me.

My current video setup doesn't allow for 1080p, only 720P, and BR aren't my main concerns, but what the hey... so if the video playback and higher res audio are really good, I suppose I'd still be interestedd in the 83 model.

I'll be using HDMI primarily, but for THE ONCE IN A WHILE CDs I'd run into a Bel Canto DAC3 via SPDIF.

I'd appreciate your thoughts there. Thank you very much.
So buying a BDP-83 and than upgrade to 83SE costs $100 less than buying a 83SE? Interesting pricing.
sidssp...you got it. the difference is you don't get the Special Edition moniker on the upgraded BDP-83 because they don't switch out the faceplate to the new version with "Special Edition" written next to BDP-83. But more to your point, the pricing is smart because they don't alienate existing BDP-83 customers with the rollout of an SE version with upgraded audio chip sets and power supplies so soon after the initial roll out of the BDP-83, plus they immediately get an upsell from a certain persentage of existing BDP-83 customers. It makes a lot of business sense.
I wonder how the SE compares to the modified players from Ref Audio mods and others? Anyone have one of those??