Current Inexpensive CD Vs High Priced 90's

Looking for advice as there are few dealers in my area to make comparisons with my own ears.

I'm having a bad stereo year & a bad financial year. Latest piece of gear to go is my PS Audio SL3 D/A. Repair MAY be an option, but there are no highly regarded shops anywhere near me.

The PS Audio is HDCD, but tops out at 20/96. I've been running the PS Audio with a 90's Teac/Esoteric P10 & Illuminati Digital Cable. The combined list on the 2 pieces + cable in the 90's when purchased was around $3200. I like the sound of the combination quite a bit.

With that said, how much of a downgrade sonically would the Oppo DV-980H be compared to my current rig?

Any other suggestions for an inexpensive solution (either 1 piece or outboard d/a)? My Esoteric Transport still plays perfectly, but on cdr's sometimes thinks about it for awhile before playing.

The rest of the system is a Mod Squad Line Drive deluxe pre, a mediocre Adcom 555 Mk 2 that I also hope to replace, NHT 2.5I speakers & various 90's Tara cables.
moomoo
I heard the MF today. I did not buy it. My initial impression is that for $300 it is a giant killer, BUT it's major weakness (in the system I heard it in) is brightness & sibilance in the vocals & cymbals. Unfortunately, I am really sensitive to upper midrange issues. I can not speak to the low end as despite this system having big floor standers, with this system, none of the 3 dac's had much of a low end. Based on what I heard, I would recommend it to anyone who has an older 1 box cd with an spdif out who wants an inexpensive upgrade. IF the USB sound equal (I didn't hear it), it could also be great tp upgrade a pc sound card.

I know I asked for inexpensive, but the upper mid issues were too much for me. It seems interesting that Martin Colloms rates it twice as good as the Meridian 203 & quite a bit better then the 263. That does not jibe at all with my memory, but it's been a long time since i owned the Meridians.

The system is was partnered with for the demo included VTL Amps, A Bel Canto Transport & this is embarrassing, but I don;'t know what the speakers were. They were large, expensive floor standers. Digital cable was MIT, i don't know what the Analog cable was. The shop appeared to know how to demo the gear appropriately. I was told the MF had been powered p constantly for around 2 months, & had 25-30 hours playing music so it should have been pretty burned in. It very well may also improve with the power supply, & I heard it in a system I honestly didn't like much. The dealer actually wanted to demo it on a much cheaper system, but with KEF bookshelves & a Marantz 1 box I was afraid it was too far from my system.

I also listened to the Bel Canto seperates, & to the unit I unexpectedly bought, a Xindac DAC-5. I'd never heard of Xindac before, & wasn't planning on spending $700, but.......

It basically sounded at least as good if not better then the much more expensive Bel Canto 2 piece & 2 things made p my mind:

1. The Classic Records Gold CD of Cowboy Junkies: I"ve owned this in some form since it was released. I've never heard the background ambiance in the church so clearly.

2. After listening to several cd's from my collection on all 3 set ups, what finally really pushed me to buy it was Duke Ellington C Jam Blues on the MFSL hybrid SACD of Blues In Orbit. The very loud cymbal was unlistenable on the MF. On the Bel Canto, the cymbal was much better, but Ray Nance's Violin was screechy. On the Xindac, I didn't want the track to end!

I had not intended to judge the unit at all in my system until i got my NAD-2600 repaired. As I've stated elsewhere I'm using an Adcom 555 Mk2 & everything now sounds the same on my system - brittle. I was pretty surprised when immediately after plugging in the DAC-5 with no time to warm up (I am told the demo I bought is burned in), the system became much more musical. I don't know if it's that much better then the PS Audio SL-3, or if it has a better synergy with the Adcom, or........... I know I'm looking forward to hearing it with the NAD.

Of course all of the above is based on initial impressions.

The good news is the store Resolution Audio which i had never heard of until this week is giving me at least 30 days to return for a cash refund & 60 for a 100% exchange.
They're also giving me a huge trade in on the Adcom (exactly what I'd hoped to sell it for on Craig's list), & since i only paid $150 for the Adcom, I expect to break even on the NAD repair AND the $150 for the Adcom for what he's giving me.

Thanks again to Stanwal. I found this dealer from researching the MF he suggested.
Have you tried calling Rick Cullen at Cullen Circuits in reference to your Ps Audio SL-3. There is a good chance that he not only built but designed the Dac.
He may be able to repair and upgrade the unit.
The store where I bought the Xindak is doing a diagnosis at no charge on the PS Audio. I will likely trade it in to them after they find out what's wrong & make me an offer.

After spending more time with the Xindak, I am stunned at how good it is for the price. It's biggest strength (partnered with the Adcom that I'm not fond of) is midrange in general, & the especially vocals. I have NEVER heard vocals on cd sound this analog like. I THINK the weaknesses I'm hearing are more the Adcom then the Xindak, I'm not going to mention them at all until i get my NAD Amp back.

At least partnered with the Adcom, the Xindak is WAY better then the PS Audio. I can't remember the last time I listened to digital without feeling the need to read a book or fidget. With the Xindak, I just sit with my eyes closed & listen, especially to rock with well recorded vocals. It's also reminding me why I used to care so much about high end audio.
Turned out that once repaired the PS Audio is a much better sounding DAC then the Xindak........
I'm using an Oppo DV-980h connected to a vintage CAL Sigma DAC, which I retubed with a NOS 1960 British made Mullard 12ax7 tube. The results are simply stunning, and in fact better than than the sound of my $1800 Doge 6 Tube CDP. In fact I just sold my Doge 6, it sounded laid back & truncated by comparison to the Oppo/Sigma combo. Infact even listening to the Oppo via it's analogue outputs isn't bad in my reference system.