CD transport vs streamer?

I am presently using a squeezebox unmodded and streaming via ethernet (not wi fi) uncompressed files from a Mac. I am feeding this into my Weiss Medea DAC (tried both Toslink and coaxial). However, comparing it to using my Jason transport, the sound is significantly worse. eg in Jazz at the Pawnshop, I can hear the liveness of the recording, on the streamed music it sounds like it was recorded in an anechoic chamber. Same when i stream from my apple TV via toslink.

Has anyone found a way of streaming that actually can outdo a high end CD player?
jglim
Doesnt the Jason have a very nice preamp function, how do you compare/isolate that from running the SB3 into the Medea or are you running an preamp in between?
I have not heard the Weiss Medea DAC you're using so can't comment directly on it though it does have a good reputation.

However, I run my Squeezebox through a Lavry DA-10 DAC and am very pleased with my system. I settled on this combo 2 1/2 years ago after going through quite a bit of equipment (including a Transporter) for several years preceding that. I've had no urge to change anything at the source end since.

Also, double-check your settings in the Squeezecenter. There are a bunch of possible configurations and some (such as streaming and decoding formats and volume normalization, for example) can adversely affect the sound quality.
Hi Perrew

I tried running SB3 into the Medea DAC. Jason is purely a transport and I run that also into the Medea. I have also set the SB as bare as possible and still the failure of the SB3 to retrieve the finer details and the failure to potray the ambience/acoustics of the place in which the recording is made is disappointing.
Just out of curiosity, what file format are you using to store the files for the Squeezebox?