Anybody Using a Portable Audio Player (DAP) As a Streamer?

Hi! I just ordered a Hiby R6 Pro II DAP which has a digital output. I plan to use it on the go (as it is intended), but also at home as my streamer, by using its USB port to connect to my Denafrips Ares II DAC (bypass the internal DAC), and hoping to use the Hiby Cast app to control the DAP from my listening position. I plan to listen to DSD files loaded to a micro SD card on the DAP as well as streaming Apple Lossless by installing the native Apple Music app onto the DAP.

Is anyone else using such a setup instead of buying a standard desktop streamer (such as a Fiio R7/R9 or Eversolo DMP-A6/8)? If so, how's it working out for you? I see Hiby even makes a special dock for their DAPs to facilitate such a usage (the Hiby CR06 dock, which isn't cheap). Does it output bitperfect high-resolution audio to your external DAC without issues?

-Ed

eddnog

Oh yeah, I also decided to invest in the HiBy CR06 dock. Much more elegant than what I am using now with just long, loose cables and a microfiber cloth for it to sit on. 😆

-Ed

@fuzztone Looks like the problem is when using the invert or vertical flip option on the screen. Once I disabled that and returned it to normal orientation, it worked again.

-Ed

As an aside...I use a Fiio M11 Plus LTD as my source > Bel Canto S300IU using the lineout (LO) function > 1 to 2 rca cable into the Bel Canto > ML Ethos....

Sounds awesome and simple to use.

Yes, I have been having great success with this as my source in my chain. I eventually upgraded my preamp to a Schiit Freya+ and rolled that with quad matched Psvane CV181-T MkII tubes and it took the whole chain to another level. So happy with this setup!

-Ed