Are You A Disciplined Audiophile?

The issue of whether break-in is real aside for now, when you make a change in your system, such as a new component or cable, do you have the discipline to wait before making any other changes?  I usually mark my calendar for a month and perhaps 2 months and try to change nothing else for that period of time so I can better assess exactly what the new thing is doing. But sometimes it’s difficult to wait. IMO, break in is a real thing, both in the component and the listener, but even if you don’t believe components and cables change after a few days, can you wait at least a month to listen to enough music to adjust your ears to what the new thing brings to the system on its own?  

chayro

To answer the OP i considered myself a disciplined audiophile because i control my urges to throw money out by studies and experiments whose conclusion make me able to judge sound quality not in itself nor related to a mere piece of gear but more in connection to a synergetical system in a dedicated room where the BALANCE between all parameters in the perceived experience is what count for me at last. Not so much the tempting hypothetical change of a piece of gear for a costlier one anymore ...😁 I listen music not upgrade ( they are not all for the best anyway )

My 1000 bucks system is satisfying for me acoustically ... Upgrading a piece of gear now will be a small change at best and a regression at worst ( i know because i tried it few months ago because i am not so wise as i wrote i am here😁 )

The real upgrade will cost me more around 10,000 to 15,000 bucks to really improve what i have on another level ...

But what i have now is completely satisfying for my needs in near listening smaller room , it is the results of my basic modifications of the room and modifications of my speakers design and modifications on my headphone...

Acoustics basic and creativity made you disciplined ...Erase these two and you become a passive consumers victim of undisciplined urges...

Audiophile life dont compare to car ownership at all by the way...

It compare to a dude learning navigation taking into account winds and tides and direction by the stars... He bought a small sailboat to go to sea by himself ... Bill Gates boast about his yacht price tag and technology  as some here about their gear but what he knows about navigation really ? Nothing ... Then why some here think that someone who learn acoustics with his 1000 bucks modified system must absolutely be jealous of their 50,000 bucks gear in their living room ?

Acoustics and music are my hobby not consumerism  and branded names boasting after purchase ... 

😊

Another thread that has attracted that same....tired...droning sound. Is there anywhere free from that repeating siren?

Comparison auditioning - buy 2-3 products representative of various designs and compare them at the same time - is more effective IMHO.

The only "break" that I take is to wait a week or two and come back to it with fresh ears and see if it sounds the same as before. If there is a question of break in affecting sound, I will use that time to run in the components.

can you wait at least a month to listen to enough music to adjust your ears to what the new thing brings to the system on its own?

That is something else. While hearing differences can be done quickly, changing preferences takes longer. For example, if you only listen to tubes, your first listen to class D may be negative.

I am not angry i speak my mind ...😊

Feel free to contradict the content of what i said ...😊

I am not personal as you are it seems ... People who gives ad hominem attacks against someone dont gave arguments as i did ... You attacked me with personal grudge because you misinterpreted my "politics" but you were frank and said it frankly , unlike hilde45 who hate me because he is unable to answer to my arguments since the beginnings ...And repeat for one year here the same criticism about my english mastery ...

And only narrow mind can have "fun" with childlike content as adhominem attack  by the way have fun then ...

I prefer philosophy ... 😊

@hilde45 and he’s getting angry and personal. "fun"