Small hi-res player?

I am looking for a small portable music player that is able to playback hi-res files (at least, 24/96), but either I am blind, or these are still rare. One wonders why, now that these chips are cheap. I am able to record in 24/96 from my vinyl analog rig, and there is just no competition, even downsampled, it sounds much better than CD. Yet it is a shame not being able to use the hi-res format directly. I use a Cowon D2, which is very capable player, but it cannot go beyond the 16/44 (CD format level). I now have 80 gb of analog music on my hard disk and would really like to use it. Any advice? Input appreciated.
Ag insider logo xs@2xo_holter
Thanks Marakanetz, the Apogee looks nice. My question was for a different product, however, a music player for travelling, running etc. Is it hard to make them take 24/96 or higher sound formats, or is it just branch inertia we are seeing here?
No answer, so I'll report my own findings. First, if you haven't tried listening to vinyl outdoors, try it. Cheaper than a health studio. The sweet spot no longer means only the listening chair.

Cowon's new O2 player is supposed to be able to play 96/24 files directly, yet it is a bit big, and I want to see some user reports first. The best sound is DSD, and I am investing in a Korg MR-1. It seems that the new Oppo will be able to play DSD discs.
hello

I agree that 16bit/44,1kHz (old rbcd) is not enough for music (it was never enough), and especially today when storage media (hard drives, SACD discs, DVD discs) allow for recording music in full resolution (DSD or PCM 24/96) hi-rez is a must in any hi-fi system, but never thought about playing high definition music through portable player :)

Have you listened to any hi-rez music on portable player yet? I'm very curious whether there's a difference between hi-rez files and standard consumer formats played on portable player
I do know I enjoy my 24/96 vinyl rips even downsampled to 16/44, and since these sound much better than CDs (on the Cowon D2), I have little doubt that the original 24/96 would sound better still (and, according to what people say, DSD to 24/96 another notch up). Note, good earphones are needed to appreciate the differences; I use the Shure E3 (moving around) and sometimes Sennheiser HD600 (sitting down).
I've finally invested in a DSD recorder, Korg Mr-1, following advice here on Audiogon. Like other users I enjoy the results. Even downsampled. The Korg Mr-1 DSD recordings sound noticeably better than my first PCM 24/96 solution - larger soundscape, more detail, better sculpturation of musical sound, improved treble, although not perfect - some digital glare remains, but much reduced. The main effect is improvement due to the higher information level. I use Shure E3 earplugs and Sennheiser HD600 headphones, comparing.

So, not just hi-res PCM, but DSD playback ability - that would be the dream small portable. I think this is a case of making business listen up to emerging general public demand.