Yamaha GT-2000 from Japan or local TD-125?

(Cross posted)

Im wondering if anyone has ordered one off Ebay.  The Japanese websites seem pretty legit. I’m really sold on these, I’d say it’s my dream table for now.

Also have a chance to pick up a fully serviced Thorens TD-125 with an SME 3009 locally.  Arm was rewired, but have not been quoted a price since the seller wants to wait until the work is complete.  I’m guessing around the same as  GT2000, likely low to mid 1k’s

Any constructive thoughts are much appreciated.

brecchi

I owned a Thorens TD-124, a great TT. I highly recommend one if it great shape, re-conditioned ....

I have had several wood bases made for several TD-125 someone knowledgeable owns. I am not impressed with what I see/feel , I cannot imagine it could produce the solidity that the TD-124's heavy platter does: but I have never heard one.

Never heard a GT-2000, always impressed with all details I read about. The link at vintage knob gives info on several variations, take your time, clarify what you might buy, OR, wait for another specific version to pop up.

You may need a 100v/120v transformer, like I do for my JVC TT81. A small transformer, as long as decent quality works well, no hum, no need to get some big expensive one. amazon has one for $40. delivered, VCT VT-200J

Like Elliot suggests, a 120V to 100V step down transformer is no problem. You just need one that can handle the wattage of the GT2000 motor, which is likely to be less than 25W. eBay for $50-ish. I owned a TD125 for several years. The GT2000 is simply better.

elliottbnewcombjr and lewm

Thanks for the insight.  It would be nice to have a YOP-1 clone, but I think they are hard to come by.  In lieu of that, I was looking for step down transformer advice.  Nice to know its a cheap and generic solution.

I'm in the middle of negotiating for an "Excellent" GT-2000.  I should be able to get it at $1400.  I'm a bit nervous dropping that kind of cash for a transaction like this.  If I bite the bullet, fingers crossed that it arrives well packed and representative of the pics.  And if something goes wrong that reimbursement is not a nightmare (buyer pays return shipping, but I am likely covered by eBay protection.)

Just an update - I've negotiated for a GT-2000 for 1400 in "excellent" condition.  The pics seem to support this.  

I mentioned that I would like to take the evening to read over the details before payment.  I'm crossing my fingers that things go well from here.  

The YOP1 is an option, not a necessity.  They are usually easy to find on Japan Yahoo, if you really want one.