Benchmark AHB2 in Mono Block Configuration

Hi:

I've owned the Benchmark ABH2 Amp for a few years but am now considering one two alternative upgrade paths:

A New Amp or adding a second AHB2. If I purchase a new amp so far I like the Bryston 3BCubed which is a dual mono design with 200 watts into 8 ohms or possibly the 4BCubed at 300 watts. In either case this is more power than the single ABH2 at 100 watts into 8 ohms. However adding a second ABH2 increases the power per channel to 380 watts .

So much for raw power. What about overall sound quality? The Bryston 3BCubed got an excellent review on Absolute Sound as an amp that would require significantly more $$ to better. Another review I read easily preferred the Bryston 43Cubed (300 watts per channel) over the ABH2.

I'm in the process of completely upgrading my system after several years of the same components. I will shortly have:

An Aurender N20 Streamer into an MSB Discrete DAC with dual power supplies feeding the single ABH2 which drives my Harbeth C7es-XD speakers.

Everything will be new except the older ABH2. Hence the consideration of an amp upgrade.

Now Benchmark will tell you that adding a second ABH2 is only needed when the single amp clips. Other than that there is no sonic benefit to adding a second. I Ffnd that hard to believe. I would think having a second would offer improved soundstage, separation and possibly better performance from the speakers. So my question is:

Have any of you added a second ABH2 and if so what were the overall sonic benefits if any? Also any opinion or experience on the Brystons vs the Benchmark? Or any suggestions of a better upgrade path would be welcomed.

jfrmusic

In my second system I went with a pair of Benchmark AHB2’s driving 93 db efficient Verity Leonore speakers with a minimum nominal impedance of 6 ohms.  These speakers retailed for $17k 15 years ago or about $25k now if adjusted for inflation.  I would not use price as the determinate since the AHB2’s are so utterly neutral and transparent to the point many people do not like them for just these qualities – what goes in is pretty much what comes out. This system’s front end is digital only – streaming and CD with a R2R DAC.  I had a single AHB2 and tried another and kept it due to the effortless presentation 380W of mono blocks yield.  If you don’t listen at loud volumes and your room is not too big, one may be plenty in both quality and quantity. My space is large.

Some food for thought.  My primary system is all tube amplification.  The frontend on this analog and digital system is 10X more expensive than the speakers, and it sounds glorious.  Is one system better (more perfect) than another? I don’t know but they are both very enjoyable in very different ways.  The point is, do not let the cost of one component be the driver of another.

Try a second AHB2 and see what you think.  Good luck!

@timothy_m 

Thanks for the information and your experience with the AHB2. 

@yyzsantabarbara 

My AHB2 is Silver and 3 years old. I plan to try it with my new front end when they arrive. If I decide to sell I will let you know before listing it. I will als definitely be selling my Benchmark DAC3 and possibly the HPA4 as well. I want to try the HPA4 as a pre between the MSB and the amp first. 

@stereo5 

Thsnks I have watched that video. Very informative. 

@jfrmusic I would be surprised if the MSB sounded better WITHOUT the HPA4. Does not make sense to add more gear and complicated the signal path but I always found the LA4 made DACs sound better.

I hear things like this all the time. When I want to try something different, I go to my local dealer to listen. Most of the time they will let me borrow equipment. With no charge or even a deposit.

Natural sound in Framingham is great like this!