life expectancy of a cdp?

I am looking at a used Parasound cdp. I know that it is based on amount of use , but on average how long should a unit last, and what amount of maintance is required? I read in other threats about the laser having to be serviced in some units.
Gary
garypic
OK, now I see where you're coming from, Grant. Yes, we're saying the same thing. Previously, the Philips units were inferior to Sony. The Audio Aero Primas with the Philips part were really bad. Now, it's the other way around - I have very little confidence in the Sonys from the past couple of years.
I know from talking to service guys that a problem that drives 'em crazy is getting a unit in for service ( disc skiping,won't read -whatever) and realizing that it's the same mechanism they are already familiar with on a hate and despise basis from other co.'s products. DVD recorders suffered from this bigtime a year or so ago - apparently almost everyone bought their laser plus spin n tray from the same OEM in Taiwan (Funai) - none of 'em worked.
Frankly - from my point of view - the major problem is that CDP's last too long - people are still playing what were once pretty good for the time players - better and cheaper things have come along since and they just won't give up on that 20 year old treasure.
So we should continue filling landfills with our outdated toys in order to continually propagate the development cycle?
Our economy seems to be based on:
1. Filling landfills with the old so everyone will run out to the store and buy the latest gadgets with our low APR credit cards.
2. Cycling the old through Ebay and Flea Markets in the secondary economy.
3. Filling up U-Stor-It garages until we stop making the monthly rent payments thereby the contents are seized and end up back at nos. 1 and 2.