Cary Audio SLP-5 Preamp Tube Replacement.

Hello Guys,

I have stock tubes in my Cary SLP-05 and want to replace them with Psvane CV181-T MKII (6SN7) or you have any other recommendations? I am hoping you can help me if I need to buy all eight tubes or I can do with less tubes. I hope they fit in Cary and which slots I should replace them in? I only use RCA cables and not balanced cables. Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

couger4u

The Linlai E-6SN7's were my tube of choice in the SLP-05.  As @immatthewj noted you only need 4 of them if you aren't running balanced.  My SLP-05 sounded a bit better with balanced ins and outs but not as good with mixed inputs but your experience might be different.  I just bought my E-6SN7's off Aliexpress.  No need to pay extra for the nonsense Premium Vacuum Tubes spouts to justify more than doubling the price.

My friend bought a tube preamp and tube phono stage, brought them here for a listen. I was quite surprised how much the sound changed when he tried the alternate rectifier tube the maker had included. Quite obvious difference, not subtle.

I bought a pair of 6sl7s, hated them, returned, tried different ones, love them. Again, obvious, not subtle.

Seemed like a bigger difference than I have experienced when changing 12ax/12au's

Thank you for your replies my friends. So, let me get it right, I just need to replace 1, 2, 4 and 5 slots as I only use unbalanced cables? Also @pinwa Did the Linlai tubes fit and how do they sound in SLP5? 

I really appreciate your giving time to my queries. Thanks.

Yes:  3 and 6 are for your left and right balanced input buffer and 7 and 8 are for your left and right headphone amplifier.

. . . and if you think of it, give us a follow up on how you feel about those Psvane CV181-T MKII (6SN7)s in 1 through 5 after you've had them in for a bit.